Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

I've been out of the audio scene for a while now, so I could use some recommendations.

Here's what I'm looking for:
-double-din
-touchscreen is OK as long as there is a dedicated button/knob (preferred) for volume. I really hate having to look while driving.
-bluetooth (so it must actually be effective, not just a bullet feature)
-GPS would definately be a bonus - I could cancel my VZ Navigator plan...

I have absolutely no care if it has DVD/DivX playback or iPod support.

No immediate plans to amp it.

Thoughts? I liked the Kenwood unit at the local box store, but everyone b***hes about Kenwood. My last MP3 h/u was an eXcellon and it was great.

BTW Mine's an '06 King Cab w/premium (non RF) audio.

Some questions:
- is there a bypass module needed at all to use an aftermarket stereo (ie that ties into the BCM)
- Anyone have spec's on the factory speakers? With the stock hu it is extremely 'muddy' sounding - I have to cut the base nearly all the way down to get it to clear up. I ask because I may consider upgrading them down the road.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
best think i can tell you is to head to BB or a local shop and look at there limited selection. see if they have anything you like. also check out crutchfield. personally, ive never had a problem with kenwood. no bypass needed, just make sure to buy the adapter harness. DO NOT cut the factory harness. the adapter is will worth the $15 or so. it will be worth it to change out the factory speakers. when you do that take the factory tweeters out. they are wired in series with the door speakers and will screw with the ohms going to the new speakers.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply - so I would guess the tweeters have a simple 'crossover' mounted directly on them?

Can a 6.5" fit inside the door, assuming the magnet doesn't interfere? What's in there now, 4x6?

Are all the speaker connections routed directly to the rear of the hu or is there a factory amp elsewhere?

Thanks again! And x2 on the pigtail adapter: no plans to sell the Frontier anytime soon but that's the last thing you feel like doing when selling a car(replacing the factory radio).

·
Registered
323 Posts
There is a crossover under the dash somewhere for the tweeters, just take them out (tweets).

Front speakers are 6x9s, rear are 6.5s.

No factory amp unless you have the RF system (which you don't).

Look at the JVC AVX820. Has built in bluetooth but no nav. HUs with nav get pricey. I have the Pioneer AVH-P4100DVD with the bluetooth accessory and like it pretty well.

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
there is no crossover on the factory setup. you can fit 6.5's with an adapter plate. you can either buy it or make it. if you make it, just use your factory 6x9 as a template. no amp on the system unless its the RF system.

·
Registered
76 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
I have had three Alpine units and all of them have far exceeded expectations. They are much higher quality (in my opinion) than just about anything else on the market. They have two real nice DD touch screen units you should definitely check out. If I recall correctly they both have dedicated volume buttons, and both have very good blue tooth. They have an optional nav component that works very well.

·
Registered
6,057 Posts
comes down to personal preference on what brand hu you want. All your questions have been covered extensively numerous times in detail in the audio/video section. Give that section a search.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts