Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I'm FINALLY going to get busy with installing my audio system during the next few months. Time will tell how much deadening I end up doing. I had a JL 10W6 down-firing sub with 200W in my D21 KC and it kicked very nicely.

I have ordered a 12" shallow mount woofer that will handle 500W for my CC, and I don't think I have enough room to build a down-fire box, especially in the back where the floor slopes up. Those of you that have up-firing driver(s) (or have had both?), could you compare subjective sound quality for me? Does it vibrate the back seat passenger any more (in a bad way)? Is there a difference; does it matter?

·
Registered
16,551 Posts
subs really don't care as long as there is are for it to move. i had my kicker L7 8in up firing into the seat, sounded great and gave who ever sat over it some nice vibs

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah thanks, that's what I was thinking. I know it isn't acoustically directional below a certain wavelength around 80Hz inside the cabin, but I also don't want that energy to be too annoying on my son's backside if it made a difference in direction. Maybe in a couple years his girlfriends will appreciate it :)

There's definitely more room for a 12" sub on the top vs. bottom of an enclosure back there. But I suppose I'll only really crank it when I'm alone or only have a front seat passenger.

·
Registered
572 Posts
well mine fires down on top of the seat and no problem there

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
You're correct about the bass being non directional. What I can add to is what I think Drew was getting at. I had 2 - 10" Kickers firing down in an x-cab truck which were awful at first. They were too close to the floor (approx 3/4") and couldn't move enough air. I lifted the box so there was 2" below the speakers and it made all the difference it needed. That set up came in at 126 decibels at a sound off.

If you have the room to fire down, I would prefer down, if not you'll have to go up.

·
Registered
832 Posts
i've got my two 400w rms 10" sony xplods in the dual 10" under-seat box from supercrewsound... it really sounds really good, very surprising. It's a downfiring box, ive never dealt with one of them before, ... maybe i'm crazy, but when it downfires, it seems to transfer some bang through the body of the vehicle, you can feel the real low frequencies in the steering wheel, you can rest your hand on the windshield and feel it really moving. I turned the box upside down with the seat folded up for a little test and, it really was quite a bit of a difference, im sure a fan of downfiring now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts