Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have little shame so I'll ask about anything...this is about keys and how you carry them.

I'm used to the single fat key with the electronics for doors and alarm all built in together. I never really like the "fat key" concept, being old school and used to vehicles without all the modern features. But now with my frontier, they give me a key and a separate remote for door locks and alarm...then when I add all the other keys (3 door keys) it becomes a mess. How can I organize this?

Who's idea was it to have the door locker thing apart from the key? This system begs for a fob and push button start.

The old days with no remotes was good...the key fob and push button is good...this two separate objects needed to get in and drive seems retarded, especially when you add in your house keys to the mix.

What kid of system do you use? A separate set up for house and car seems like asking for trouble.

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
...or the old OLD days, where one key got you in, the other key got you running...

I rekeyed the house, so every door on my property uses one key, including the remote control deadbolts. One key ring, house key, truck key, truck remote, house remote. Any other keys I need are in a location where they'll be available when I need them, but not in my person all the time. (IE: work key is in my lunchbox so I have it for work only...)

·
Registered
140 Posts
I put an electronic combo lock on the door we use to the house. It’s in the garage. Door opening in truck. There is a backup key hidden. My trailer keys are on separate ring so only get when need. Work keys in my bag. So I only have my truck keys in my pocket.

I want remote start but I don’t want a second fob.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re keying all house locks would be a good thing for me to do, then I'd have two keys and the remote.
This is likely the smartest move, and I didn't even consider it (sad part is I once worked in a hardware store and re-keyed other peoples locks...although I've worked hard to forget that period of my life).

So, truck key, master house key, truck remote...maybe carabiner...this should work. Just dread taking all those locks to the store. (or maybe its cheaper to buy a re key kit? Never looked into it).

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
When I looked into it, taking them in was marginally cheaper, plus I didn't have to worry about messing something up or losing pins from those kits :lol:...trying to add everything up...5 deadbolts, 11 regular locks.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I'm not at all inconvenienced by the regular key and fob. While proximity locks are a nice feature I see no advantage to a push button start. I especially don't want a wallet key or a cell phone app.

·
Registered
46 Posts
What kid of system do you use? A separate set up for house and car seems like asking for trouble.
I'm curious why you think it's asking for trouble? Mine are separate and I have never had a problem with it. My house key ring has 6 keys and a couple key chain tools. I don't want all that weight hanging on the ignition or having it bang around on the dash. Years ago with my first car it actually helped me out when I accidentally locked my keys in the car. I was able to catch a ride home and get inside to grab my other set.

·
Super Moderator
11,721 Posts
I only carry the truck key and the fob. Too many keys swinging and their weight wears the ignition out, look at the GM recall over that.
I enter my house through the garage and if nobody is home I use hidden key, I keep trailer keys, hitch lock etc on separate ring.
In a post above there is a picture of multiple fobs together and that is a known issue where they especially if proximity style can interfere with each other and cause starting issues.
Besides who wants either the dash banged up or keys hitting your leg?
I have three other cars with proximity fobs and tend to put them down when in the car and inadvertently walk away essentially leaving the key to steal the cars right there. I’ll take the old fashioned key any day. Push to start has its own set of flaws and it’s not the “best” thing out there.
My 2016 Jeep has the key and remote as a single unit and find it too big to keep in pocket of jeans.

Clint

·
Registered
141 Posts
I only carry the truck key and the fob. Too many keys swinging and their weight wears the ignition out, look at the GM recall over that.

I enter my house through the garage and if nobody is home I use hidden key, I keep trailer keys, hitch lock etc on separate ring.

In a post above there is a picture of multiple fobs together and that is a known issue where they especially if proximity style can interfere with each other and cause starting issues.

Besides who wants either the dash banged up or keys hitting your leg?

I have three other cars with proximity fobs and tend to put them down when in the car and inadvertently walk away essentially leaving the key to steal the cars right there. I’ll take the old fashioned key any day. Push to start has its own set of flaws and it’s not the “best” thing out there.

My 2016 Jeep has the key and remote as a single unit and find it too big to keep in pocket of jeans.

Clint

There is this nifty device you can get from amazon for a few bucks. You can add all your keys to it and it more or less turns the entire set into a Swiss Army knife of keys. Keeps them all neat and organized. I’m planning to snag one myself. The only thing you have to have hanging separate would be the key fob. If I can find a link later I’ll add one.

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
There is this nifty device you can get from amazon for a few bucks. You can add all your keys to it and it more or less turns the entire set into a Swiss Army knife of keys. Keeps them all neat and organized. I’m planning to snag one myself. The only thing you have to have hanging separate would be the key fob. If I can find a link later I’ll add one.
Have/had one of those, KeySmart if I recall the brand correctly. They don't work very well with thicker keys like our truck key, unfortunately...loved it otherwise, though...for all other keys...

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Only key I carry is the Frontier key - a modded Rogue key - with a small clip so I can hook it inside my backpack so I don't lose it on the trail. Usually go in the house via the garage door. Have keypads for the garage and front door if needed. All other keys are on a separate key ring that seldom gets picked up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm curious why you think it's asking for trouble? Mine are separate and I have never had a problem with it. My house key ring has 6 keys and a couple key chain tools. I don't want all that weight hanging on the ignition or having it bang around on the dash. Years ago with my first car it actually helped me out when I accidentally locked my keys in the car. I was able to catch a ride home and get inside to grab my other set.
Just that needing to take two sets of keys in place of a single set, as I've done my entire key carrying life, has a better chance of forgetting to bring one of them along. Best case I need to go back and get them...worse, I lock myself out.

I have a standard set...wallet, gun, light, knife, and keys...maybe I will decide to keep drive and house keys apart, but it will take getting used to.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'll have to look into the rogue key mod thing...

You could always mod the frontier key to fit the thing I was talking about too. Basically get rid of the black plastic part. Should be metal under it. Then if there’s not a hole just add one. If I ever get around to it I’ll post. Been busy with a ton of house projects lately.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Just that needing to take two sets of keys in place of a single set, as I've done my entire key carrying life, has a better chance of forgetting to bring one of them along. Best case I need to go back and get them...worse, I lock myself out.

I have a standard set...wallet, gun, light, knife, and keys...maybe I will decide to keep drive and house keys apart, but it will take getting used to.

That makes sense. Anytime I switch things up it does throw me off for a while.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I don't see this as that much of an issue. I have 3 vehicles that I drive randomly. I just keep each of those keys on their own ring and take whichever I need. House keys are on their own ring.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts