Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I took a trip to Lughlin last week for the day on my way to New Mexico. Truck ran perfect all the way. Not one problem at all. Drove to Laughlin, got there about noon drove around and parked late evening. The next day got up to head out and the truck cranked reeeeeeaaaaaaally slow, but it turned over. Got to New Mexico with out a hitch. Stopped for gas, truck turned right on, stopped for food not a problem. Then I got to NM and after one day of being parked the truck was DEAD!!! So I went and bought a new battery and now not a problem at all. I went to the dealer in NM to ask if they could warranty it and they said "the battery dying is normal wear and tare so no its not covered." Then I called the dealer I got my truck from and they said "maybe you left your lights on or a door open. Just jump start it and you will be ok." So I guess I am slow enough to not notice a light or door right. :laugh:

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
94k miles on my '08 and no problems yet *knock on wood*

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know batteries die and all but yeah its only 2 years old and what made me more mad was the fact that it ran perfectly fine just all of a sudden nothing!! I was ready to leave for church and had people to take lol.

·
Super Moderator
12,703 Posts
I only got about 24k miles out of my stock (2006) battery and then poof it was dead.
They seem hit and miss, some report crappy batteries on here and some say their battery is great.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Replaced mine in 07 after it was only two years old. put a yellow top in, never had a problem since..

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I only got about 24k miles out of my stock (2006) battery and then poof it was dead.
They seem hit and miss, some report crappy batteries on here and some say their battery is great.
Yeah man what gives! Most of us pay an arm and a leg for the trucks you figure the least Nissan could do is put a quality battery in there. They dont even have any stamps or stickers for peats sake!! Its a blank battery! :thatswck:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Power mirrors? Check to make sure the toggle is in the "neutral" or middle position (ie: no mirror is selected). If I leave my toggle on the drivers or passenger mirror, it drains my battery.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
I know this has been said by others but the OEM battery requires maintance. You live in a very hot area so the water probably evaporated and resulted in a low battery life.

Mine did the same thing. It worked fine until one day. It had a slow start and then the next morning there was nothing. I ended up putting in a new battery from Walmart that was cheap (just less then 80 bucks) and it has an awesome warranty (somethign like 3yr free, additional 5 prorated).

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
The OEM battery should have a warranty. Look into it (owners manual).

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I know this has been said by others but the OEM battery requires maintance. You live in a very hot area so the water probably evaporated and resulted in a low battery life.

Mine did the same thing. It worked fine until one day. It had a slow start and then the next morning there was nothing. I ended up putting in a new battery from Walmart that was cheap (just less then 80 bucks) and it has an awesome warranty (somethign like 3yr free, additional 5 prorated).
Yeah I go over everything possible to check when I do an oil change. I guess that could be possible though. It was like 105 in Laughlin when it started acting up. I ended up going to Sears and getting a Die Hard Platinum battery since its claimed to be good for multiple audio and light add ons.

The OEM battery should have a warranty. Look into it (owners manual).
Yeah thats what they told me at the dealer that I got the truck from. When I called the person told me the batteries have some kind of special prorated warranty that has nothing to do with the extended warranty so I just have to call and see if I need to take it in or something because according to the person I talked to depending on the useage of the battery they will split the cost of my new battery with me :)

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Power mirrors? Check to make sure the toggle is in the "neutral" or middle position (ie: no mirror is selected). If I leave my toggle on the drivers or passenger mirror, it drains my battery.
you sir, have an electrical gremlin somewhere. i don't drive my truck regularly anymore and leave it 6 days a week parked with the mirror switch at any position and my battery doesn't drain.

·
Registered
5,589 Posts
Yeah man what gives! Most of us pay an arm and a leg for the trucks you figure the least Nissan could do is put a quality battery in there. They dont even have any stamps or stickers for peats sake!! Its a blank battery! :thatswck:
an arm and a leg? really? these trucks are not that expensive at all. and just because it has no stamps or stickers doesnt mean it's not a quality battery. Doesnt matter what you're talking about, you can bet someone isnt happy with it.

FWIW, 4 years, 10 months, 85k miles, my truck has seen 95F and -20F and my battery starts my truck without fail.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
an arm and a leg? really? these trucks are not that expensive at all. and just because it has no stamps or stickers doesnt mean it's not a quality battery. Doesnt matter what you're talking about, you can bet someone isnt happy with it.

FWIW, 4 years, 10 months, 85k miles, my truck has seen 95F and -20F and my battery starts my truck without fail.
You wouldnt consider a sticker price of over 30k for a Frontier an arm and a leg? I would. Yeah most other trucks out there today are more expensive than that, a lot more, but then again... YOUR PAYING A LOT OF MONEY. I understand you get what you paid for and we have to pay for the advanced technology and what not but I think that 90% of cars out there now are way to expensive in general not just because of quality or extras etc. And I'm not saying just because it doesnt have a sticker its junk I'm saying I'd like the piece of mind to see a sticker with some king of brank on the battery not just something slapped together and thrown in the truck. And yes the batteries are junk thats why so many people have complaints about em. :)

·
Registered
5,589 Posts
You wouldnt consider a sticker price of over 30k for a Frontier an arm and a leg? I would. Yeah most other trucks out there today are more expensive than that, a lot more, but then again... YOUR PAYING A LOT OF MONEY. I understand you get what you paid for and we have to pay for the advanced technology and what not but I think that 90% of cars out there now are way to expensive in general not just because of quality or extras etc. And I'm not saying just because it doesnt have a sticker its junk I'm saying I'd like the piece of mind to see a sticker with some king of brank on the battery not just something slapped together and thrown in the truck. And yes the batteries are junk thats why so many people have complaints about em. :)

if the few complaints I've seen about the batteries mean they are junk, I guess the whole truck is junk because I've seen complaints about everything on this truck at one time or another.

·
Registered
3,545 Posts

:laugh: right up there with you 5 years, 3 months, been rolled used to run a winch, 575 watts of off road lights, 120 to -10 jumped it once after a few days of race radio install with the doors left open:laugh:

·
Super Moderator
11,738 Posts

^X2, the stock battery is not maintenance free.
My Titans battery quit at 19 months old. No warning just dead.
My Pathfinders battery is damp on top which is a sign that it's on it's way out. Now I will buy a new one before I get stuck.

Clint

1 - 18 of 18 Posts