Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Knob turns to 4x4 high and 2 high but screen still shows 4 x4 low??? Feels like it is in low....Any suggestions???

·
Registered
318 Posts
Knob turns to 4x4 high and 2 high but screen still shows 4 x4 low??? Feels like it is in low....Any suggestions???
1) put in park (if auto), or neutral (manual) and switch it to 4HI or 2HI
2) if it doesn't shift out, put it in neutral and roll it slowly forward or backwards. Best done if you're on a slight incline. Otherwise, put it in D/R (or in gear) enough to bump it in one direction or the other, and put it back in neutral.
3) You'll hear it clunk and shift out to the other gear.

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
turn switch to 4wlow, start truck, put in "N" turn dial to 4whigh and let it sit for a min. if that doesnt work, put the switch back to 4wlow and back up in a straight line for a few feet, stop and go back to "N" then turn the switch to high. give it a few seconds. it will take a few to make the switch.

·
Registered
99 Posts
If you have an automatic:

Don't mess around with park. Just follow the owner's manual (2-20):

It clearly states to stop the vehicle, put it in N, and depress the brake, before you switch in or out of 4LO.

Also on 2-19: "The transfer case may be damaged if you shift the switch while driving"

Getting out of 4H into 2WD is a different story but you should probably stick to the directions when going in and out of 4LO.

·
Registered
9,344 Posts
If you have an automatic:

Don't mess around with park. Just follow the owner's manual (2-20):

It clearly states to stop the vehicle, put it in N, and depress the brake, before you switch in or out of 4LO.

Also on 2-19: "The transfer case may be damaged if you shift the switch while driving"

Getting out of 4H into 2WD is a different story but you should probably stick to the directions when going in and out of 4LO.
that doesn't always work. some time your drive line is bound up and you have to do the old tymie way of backing up to get it out of 4lo... Pretty much every frontier I have wheeled has done it at some time..

·
Registered
318 Posts
Interesting. I'm sure my manual says put it in Park. I'll have to look it up. The online version says Neutral though. Odd...lol

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
atleast on mine it also tells you the how to do all the shifting on the driverside sun visor, on the visor, in the manual, in the online manual, and on a card that was in my booklet thing with the manuals in it they all say when going into or out of 4lo put in neutral and apply the brakes then activate the switch. sometimes it does bind up but generally the problem is with people not reading their manuals on the correct way to use their vehicles. maybe i'm weird but it truely amazes me how many people dont read these things but maybe its just me

·
Registered
99 Posts
x2 ^^^^^ agreed, you can learn a decent amount by just reading your manual.

·
Registered
473 Posts
This happened to me today 4 low would not disengage, I spent HOURS trying everything, rocking, reverse, jacking up the wheels ect. Also spent a solid hour searching on here for a solution.. and nothing.

Heres how I manually shifted it back to 2WD, in the bush with simple tools. Dont attempt this unless your sure its a problem with the electronics or shift motor. Crawl under there and locate the shift motor on the back side of transfer case. Two 12mm bolts, take em' off and pull the unit out. This will reveal the slot that engages 2,4 and 4lo. I had a chisel that happen fit the slot on the T-case and turned it clockwise to the Vertical position to get me back into 2WD.

Reactions: Zedbra

·
Registered
3 Posts
2) if it doesn't shift out, put it in neutral and roll it slowly forward or backwards. Best done if you're on a slight incline. Otherwise, put it in D/R (or in gear) enough to bump it in one direction or the other, and put it back in neutral.
It worked perfectly. Thank you so much for relieving me of so much anxiety.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Interesting. I'm sure my manual says put it in Park. I'll have to look it up. The online version says Neutral though. Odd...lol
That is what my 2017 manual says also. I had to change my transfer case fluid to get mine to work right.

·
Registered
3 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Maybe this should be a "sticky". I'll report this thread to the mods making the suggestion.

·
Admin
3,391 Posts
I have made this thread a sticky.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Did you hear and feel a clunk and sound switching to 4WD LO? Would hear same going out of 4WD LO. Asking because my 4WD light starting coming on after driving through some slush. Always went into 4WD and 4WD LO. Light came on going through car wash with under carriage wash. 2018 Pro4-X still under warranty thought I would look before taking to dealer. Found ATP switch (A/T models), 4 LO switch unplugged with die-electric still in plug. Guessing never plugged in at factory. Just a place to check, right side transfer case just behind flange for front drive shaft. Even ohm test sensors.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts