Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My struts are toast. I have 2" longer shackles and cranked my torsion bars on my 2001 XE. It has been like that the last 4 years. About 2 years ago one of my rear struts(factory) exploded and dumped oil in my garage. Anyhoo...i replaced all 4 with some middle of the road monroe struts from autozone. Truck road nicely and felt good for the first 1.5 years.

Now the new ones feel completely worn out and the truck is very bouncy. Should I be using a different strut as my truck is taller than factory? Would this cause the struts to wear out so fast? Any advice on what i should replace them with would be helpful.

thanks

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone?

I am looking at putting on either KYB shocks or Tokico shocks....mostly cuz they are cheap on Ebay.

Would love to know if anyone has run into issues with OEM shocks on a frontier raise 2 inches and if have found that using some other shock is a good thing.

·
Registered
6,432 Posts
To start with your truck uses shocks not struts. There is a big difference between the two. I have used Kragen house brand shocks before. I think they were monroes. They rode great and had a life time warranty. Sold the truck before I killed the shocks
Remove the shock in question. Jack the truck up by the frame. Try to reinstall the shock. If you can you should get different shocks cause yours are too short and over extending them are shortenign their life span.
It is a little more difficult to tell if the shocks are short enough. Usully if you jsut cranked your T-bars or added a AAL, it will be fine cause the bottom bump stop is in the same place.

·
Registered
383 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts