Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a spacer kit for a temporary solution to lift my truck until I figure out what direction I am going with the truck but when I got it all apart one of the three strut mount bolts snapped and is now just spinning - this happened on both sides! The truck is a 2005 with some rusted parts so I am honestly not surprised. I don't have an impact wrench so I am not sure what to do to get the nuts off!

I am thinking my best bet is cut it off; any suggestions would be helpful. All i have is a Sawzall or hacksaw - maybe I could buy a dremel. Of course if I cut it off I'll need to get new strut mounts, and if I do that I figured I might as well switch the struts to Bilstein 5100's.

Looking for some suggestions or if anyone has run into this issue before.

Here is the rear with the shackles installed because posts are lame without pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
The studs are pressed in if I remember, right.
You stripped the press fit. A impact will not help, they will continue to spin.
Only option is to cut them off.
Go buy a 4.5 grinder and a cutting disc and cut them off.I think that is your only option.
If you decide to replace the strut mounts, they are not very expensive. Bought one to take measurements from.

·
Registered
5,954 Posts
There is a chance that am impact will remove the nuts. That is one of the big benefits of using an impact. Often use an impact to remove the crank pulley nut on an automatic transmission where you can't lock the engine.

Either way though you will need to remove the and press on a new stud.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice! I'll probably just cut off the studs as "whistler" suggests. I figure since I'll be taking apart the assembly I may as well swap the struts for Bilstein 5100s.

·
Registered
5,954 Posts
Not sure if there is enough space for you to get an impact over those nuts anyways without building some crazy u-jointed extension.

·
Premium Member
12,043 Posts
then it just becomes a really shitty game of dodgeball lol.

op just cut and hope your replacements came assembled with new nuts. throw some antisneize on their when you do it and dont ever worry again ever.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
If you can get a cap nut ( it will stop it from screwing down)on the top of the stud, you maybe be able to break it free.
You will have to get two wrenches on it.
Worth a try.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts