Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2006 Frontier XE 2WD

Can I safely load a motorcycle, lawnmower, 4 wheeler, etc. onto my truck using a ramps.
Is the tailgate strong enough to support the weight of each ... anywhere from 300-600
pounds. Anybody doing it with their Frontier? Don't wanna bend or damage my tailgate.

Thanks, Sirkitrider

·
Registered
342 Posts
I believe that people have done it.

The tailgate is supposed to be rated at 225 to 250 lbs I think but that might be on the safer side and people have mentioned putting more weight on it with no issues.

Part of the reason why it might be okay is that for your vehicles and other things, usually it's not the entire weight that will be on the tailgate.

You can also distribute the weight if you lay down a sheet of plywood in the bed and then load what you have there.

But the easiest thing might be to just use a trailer. There are a bunch of videos and stories out there where people have trouble walking their vehicles up and down the ramps. So ends up breaking their rear window, dropping their vehicle, etc. A trailer might be kind of a pain logistically but is lower to the ground and makes it easier to load.

--------------------------

Another thing about ramps is that you have to watch out where the ramp meets the tailgate. Where it sounds like that's where vehicles have issues in bottoming out over there due to the angle. I think the way around that was either getting longer ramps or more rounded ramps.

Also you'd ideally want to get some ramps that has something that secures it to the tailgate so it doesn't slip.

·
Registered
67 Posts
A few years ago I had to haul an 8kw generator about two miles over ATV trail. We figured it weighed about 400 pounds. Four big men could barely lift it up to the tailgate.

A few days after that I noticed that my tailgate no longer fit smoothly with the rest of the truck bed. The bottom of it (the hinge side) stands out from the rest of the body about 12mm (1/2 inch). Apparently the weight of the generator was enough to bend the metal parts that form the hinge. I have never had it fixed since it is not noticeable from more than a few feet and does not affect the latch operation.

I would be leery of putting more than a couple of hundred pounds on the tailgate.

Bill Gee

·
Registered
707 Posts
A large portion of the weight is placed initially on the tailgate leading edge...which is
in turn, supported by the aircraft cables and fittings. This is before the weight
transfers onto the the tailgate hinge (more substantial)....then lastly, the bed of the
truck.

The last time, I moved a 1200cc motorcycle and backed the truck up to ...but not
onto the inclined driveway. This allowed the ramp to be more horizontally positioned,
thus distributing the weight more onto the hinge and bed. Can't always be presented
with this option though.

·
Premium Member
7,378 Posts
At some point the Gen 2 tailgate hinges were made stronger...just not sure what model year this occurred. Anyone know the year this happened?

·
Registered
173 Posts
I know that the new hinges are stronger than the old ones. I did end up bending the ones in my 06, and when I replaced them, the new OEM hardware definitely seemed beefed up. They haven't bent at all since they were replaced.

Since you have an 06 and prob the older hardware, I think anything over 300 lbs might bend them.

But I'd say go for it and if they bend, just replace with the stringer hinges.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys for your responses!

I had a 2001 Frontier and, with BlackWidow ramps loaded into truck bed with no issues.

Hoping for same results on this 2006. I like the ramps b/c I can tuck them behind the seats into the Kingcab and secure them while I out riding. They come in sections that fold in half. and are about 40" wide. And they strap together and to the bumper of the truck for loading,

Black Widow Motorcycle Ramps, 4-Beam Arched - 8' and 9' Long | Discount Ramps

or

https://www.palletforks.com/ramps/motorcycle-ramps/8-hd-4-beam-wide-harley-folding-arch-ramps.html

Thanks Sirkitrider

1 - 8 of 8 Posts