Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New member here with wareanty questiona.My 2014 started missing with the check engine light flashing so we put it in a trailer and carried it to a dealer.The 3yr/36000 warranty was up in july,but it only has 21000 miles.Wonder if any of the electrical is warranted past the 3/36000 mile warranty.The reason I'm asking is the dealer I carried it to I haven't had good luck with them,but they were the closest place and easiest to tow it to because of the holidays.The service department was closed yesterday so I just put a note with my keys in there drop box and would like to be prepared if they try to charge me for something that should be covered under warranty.

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
355 Posts
Looks like the forum was pretty slow over the holiday weekend. I'd suggest that if it happens again, bring it to an auto parts store first and get them to scan it to see what the check engine light means. I had something similar happen in my dodge stratus and it turned out to be a camshaft positioning sensor. Changed it out in the parking lot and haven't had an issue since. If I would have brought it to the dealership it would have been $80 for a $30 part and at least one hour of labor when it took me 15 minutes.

Even if it isn't something you can fix with a 10mm socket wrench in 15 minutes it's good to know what you are getting into so you can shop for prices and make sure the dealership isn't digging too deep into your wallet.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like the forum was pretty slow over the holiday weekend. I'd suggest that if it happens again, bring it to an auto parts store first and get them to scan it to see what the check engine light means. I had something similar happen in my dodge stratus and it turned out to be a camshaft positioning sensor. Changed it out in the parking lot and haven't had an issue since. If I would have brought it to the dealership it would have been $80 for a $30 part and at least one hour of labor when it took me 15 minutes.

Even if it isn't something you can fix with a 10mm socket wrench in 15 minutes it's good to know what you are getting into so you can shop for prices and make sure the dealership isn't digging too deep into your wallet.
I pulled the codes myself,miss fire on number 6 cylinder and random misfire.I pulled the plugs and some were wet and other dry white like a lean condition.I bought a new coil for number 6 cylinder but it didn't help so I carried it to the dealer since it don't have many miles.

·
Rogue Admin
2007 LE 4x4 Crew Cab Long Box
13,596 Posts
wait what? 3yr/36k bumper to bumper? no?

5yr/60k powertrain
There are exclusions, at least there were when I bough mine. Many things are 1 yr 25k excluded, paperwork should have come with your vehicle. Go have a gander.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I pulled the codes myself,miss fire on number 6 cylinder and random misfire.I pulled the plugs and some were wet and other dry white like a lean condition.I bought a new coil for number 6 cylinder but it didn't help so I carried it to the dealer since it don't have many miles.

Have you heard from your dealer yet? just a hunch with temps the way they are did you check your wiring at all when you replaced your coil you might of gotten a furry roommate for a night that just went looking for a warm bed an made a midnight snack with some of your wiring

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have you heard from your dealer yet? just a hunch with temps the way they are did you check your wiring at all when you replaced your coil you might of gotten a furry roommate for a night that just went looking for a warm bed an made a midnight snack with some of your wiring
Contaminated fuel,supposed to pick it up tomorrow.Said they drained fuel and did something to the injectors.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Guess you wont be going back to that station again maybe you should an tell em nicely of course who knows maybe they'll even offer you back something for your trouble and for telling them but that's great that's a lot simpler than my rodent idea and been there done that on both yours an my idea lol at least it wasn't this car. They probably just ran a pressurized cleaner service through it I bet your relieved. I had only suggested it because of this cold snap we just got an that's when they hit my car few years ago went out in the morning started it up and by time I got down my driveway got same codes as you except 3&5 with multiple miss detected bastrds chewed the coils injectors multiple hoses Toyota told me over 4k an in one night I was freakin out took over 2weeks of hitting junk yards I finally rewired an replaced all those little vacuum lines lol.

Reactions: hondar_r

·
Registered
994 Posts
There are exclusions, at least there were when I bough mine. Many things are 1 yr 25k excluded, paperwork should have come with your vehicle. Go have a gander.
I looked, doesn't mention anywhere in the warranty manual that electrical work is excluded or only warrantied for 1 year.

·
Rogue Admin
13,596 Posts
I looked, doesn't mention anywhere in the warranty manual that electrical work is excluded or only warrantied for 1 year.
I will go look at mine and see what it says. I know there are many things that are 1yr 25k - I asked specifically for a list as I had a few issues that Nissan denied warranty, one being the ground wire dry rotted after 18 months into the ECM for the fuel evap. Another was my front rotors warping with just over 25k and the dealer covered it (told a little white lie on the mileage) and I have never used OE rotors again.

I fought Nissan Canada regarding ECM wires rotting, as they stuck me with a $800 bill, which I told them to stick it somewhere sideways. After many calls trying to talk to someone other than the parrots that first answer the phone, and after weeks of review, Nissan finally decided to cover 1/2 the bill (the dealer knocked it down to $600 from $800 as they performed the work without prior permission, which I requested). So, I waited for my cheque to arrive - that took a while, then I cashed it, waited a few more weeks and then called Nissan Canada back. Got to talk to the same fine gentleman regarding the crumbling harness after 18 months and told them that now that they have admitted culpability for an inferior product and paid half of the bill, I would like them to now pay the other half. Needless to say, that wasn't well received, but through patient talking and reasoning they finally agreed to pay the other half as long as I agreed to not press any further electrical issues and acknowledge that the warranty was over.

But you don;t need to believe me, why not ask Nissan directly? Ask them for a detailed list of what is warrantied and what is not.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I did ask them, when I purchased the car. I get the rotor issue, I understand things like brake pads, physical damage, alignment , tires and such are not covered, but if my ECU goes bad due to ANYTHING in the vehicle, electrical or not. with less then 3 years and 36k miles, you bet your *** they are going to cover it .

edit* maybe you can find it?

https://owners.nissanusa.com/content/techpub/common/2016/2016-nissan-warranty-booklet.pdf

I also see they actually do have warranty on the tires, to a certain degree, also road side assistance for 3 years 36k miles, will even pay my hotel and meals if I'm more than 100 miles from home! Sweet.

no mention of things only have a 1 year warranty though

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
In my opinion nissian fails in there service dept.Every shop I have Ben to in my area has been a horrible experience.My sat. antenna cover blew off with less than 10000 miles and I had to pay for one,wouldn't cover it.Ive had new chevys,dodge,and ford's and nissian service has been the worst.The local Chevy dealer gave me a price on some repairs that were needed a couple thousand miles after the warranty ended.I told him to set up a day to fix it,when I picked it up he said don't worry about it and didn't charge anything.Will be buying my wife a new car in a year or two,probably won't be a nissian just for the fact there service dept. has been a nitemare.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I hear this on almost every forum, most people don't report great experiences with almost any service or product, yet if its bad the stories never end. Not saying what happened to you is ok, if my Sat. Antenna "blew off" I'd lose my mind, how is that even possible? is it just glued on there? what was under it?

I used to work at ford years ago in the service department as a porter and I remember all the angry people and the horror from customers.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I hear this on almost every forum, most people don't report great experiences with almost any service or product, yet if its bad the stories never end. Not saying what happened to you is ok, if my Sat. Antenna "blew off" I'd lose my mind, how is that even possible? is it just glued on there? what was under it?

I used to work at ford years ago in the service department as a porter and I remember all the angry people and the horror from customers.
Not sure how the antenna is held on,but they told me it didn't need to get wet with the cover off.I washed it one evening and the was on,pulled it in the garage cause I was gonna wax it the next day when I got off work.After that the wife drove it a couple miles to the grocery store and when she came back it was gone.A $20 part lost the local nissian dealer a customer for life as far as I'm concerned.My next door neighbors just bought 2 vehicles there and are having trouble,they drive a hour for service instead of 20 minutes because of the service dept.I not knocking all service departments, I've had killer serviette at the columbia,they need nissian dealership but it's a hour and fifteen minutes away.Ive also had good service out of the service departments that have serviced my cevy,Ford and dodge vehicles.Nothing against nissian either,but the local service departments are crappie from my experiences.

·
Rogue Admin
13,596 Posts
So I went into my truck folder and found the papers that the dealer gave me that were NOT included with the 3yr/36k warranty. The list is long. Now this was 2009, maybe things have changed - but electrical at that time was 1yr 25k.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts