Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, everybody talks about adding straight pipes to their truck. Well my question is, since I am a welder ( tig and Mig) can I just take my stock pipes off and cut and weld them to make a set of straight pipes.

Also if I can what benifets will I get from doing this?

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
I am sure that you can remove the muffler and replace it with a section of steel tubing
to get a straight pipe effect. You could also remove the whole system, remove the wye
and weld up a pair of straight pipes all the way back to have straight duals, but why
would you? can you spell LOUD?

The only (benefits??) I can see are the wrath of your neighbors and maybe a few
excessive noise tickets.

There are several mufflers available that will give you a freer flowing exhaust and still not be too loud.

OkieScot

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
I have heard several complaints (and have experienced it myself) of loss of low end torque with wide open exhaust such as the Banks system. I would think you would experience the same effects with a straight pipe system, and as OkieScot pointed out, it would also be quite loud. I had the Banks system on my truck for a short while and didn't like it. It's a 3" system with a straight through muffler, and it generated a very loud drone inside the cabin between 2200 and 3000 rpm.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts