Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was planning on converting the plastic storage bin under the rear seats of my '10 cc.. i was thinking of plugin up all of the holes and just use a peace of 3/4 mdf for the top.. and just make it look pritty after that.. thats were i run into a problem.. nor bondo or fiberglass likes to stick well to plastic, are there any products out there that might work for my application or should i just make a custom box??? i have only done small projects with fiberglass never a full box..i am going for a completely stock look.. so thats why i would like to use the stock storage pin. i have already bought a rockford 10" shallow mount, with there mesh grill that looks really stockish like. any help guys would help!!!

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
the plastic bin will not give you enough rigidity so it will sound like crap. you can use the bin as a shell and build around it with MDF and fiber glass though.

·
Registered
819 Posts
^ Exactly what he said. You cannot use thin ABS plastic as an enclosure. I looked at all the options, did exhaustive research on the board, and came to the conclusion that the MTX Thunderform or JL Stealthbox was the way to go. Since the JL replaces the small bin instead of the large one, I went with it... and I could not be happier! The JL stealthbox sounds awesome, and was very easy to install.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I would agree that just closing off the top of the bin is a baaaaad idea, and that using one of the two options offered above is a great idea. However, I'll give you another idea...

I'm considering putting two shallow mount 8" Pioneers under the front seats to keep that "stock look" and not give up my storage bins. Of course, it won't be near as boomy, but I've read a lot of great reviews for these subs and I'm sure they will still sound great.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would agree that just closing off the top of the bin is a baaaaad idea, and that using one of the two options offered above is a great idea. However, I'll give you another idea...

I'm considering putting two shallow mount 8" Pioneers under the front seats to keep that "stock look" and not give up my storage bins. Of course, it won't be near as boomy, but I've read a lot of great reviews for these subs and I'm sure they will still sound great.
will two of those fit under there with the amount of air space required to run two of them??? i have thought about this idea but i have power seats and it looks like it would be a VERY tight fit for just one ...

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
^ Exactly what he said. You cannot use thin ABS plastic as an enclosure. I looked at all the options, did exhaustive research on the board, and came to the conclusion that the MTX Thunderform or JL Stealthbox was the way to go. Since the JL replaces the small bin instead of the large one, I went with it... and I could not be happier! The JL stealthbox sounds awesome, and was very easy to install.

i have herd jl stealth box and it sounds awesome!! but i am an 22 year old with a mortgage on a condo, and a strange ability to spend $100+ at the bar every fri sat night.. still cant figure out that one!!! it's just not in the cards right now... maybe ill just make a custom fiberglass / mdf box... i have made several boxes before but never out of fiberglass. plus i have the stock rockford system in there. i have had crazy sound systems in my past two vehicles, and its time to settle down... the stock system sounds good for me now... factory sub has good mid bass but lacks the low end i am just lookin to add alittle kick at higher volumes on the low end so i would like to keep the factory sub

·
Registered
7 Posts
will two of those fit under there with the amount of air space required to run two of them??? i have thought about this idea but i have power seats and it looks like it would be a VERY tight fit for just one ...
According to Pioneer, the subs can be sealed or free-air, and only require as little as .15 cubic feet of closed air space. I don't have power seats, but I'm pretty sure I can get at least that much under each of my seats, and probably as much as almost .3 cubic feet.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
According to Pioneer, the subs can be sealed or free-air, and only require as little as .15 cubic feet of closed air space. I don't have power seats, but I'm pretty sure I can get at least that much under each of my seats, and probably as much as almost .3 cubic feet.

if you could do that i would recommend a sealed box... we but one of those kenwood free air subs in a bulkhead in our bass boat and with 150W it honestly sounded no louder than two 6x9's

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
free air doesnt mean what you think it does. it doesnt mean you can just mount them to a board and get bass from them. building the box to the smallest ^ft means your giving up some of the freq range. the sweet spot for the 8" pioneer is .33 or so. you can build a .15^ft box but you will want to add poly fill to fool the sub into thinking its in a slightly larger box.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
free air doesnt mean what you think it does. it doesnt mean you can just mount them to a board and get bass from them. building the box to the smallest ^ft means your giving up some of the freq range. the sweet spot for the 8" pioneer is .33 or so. you can build a .15^ft box but you will want to add poly fill to fool the sub into thinking its in a slightly larger box.
in theory u would have to biuld a box twice that size for two right??

·
Registered
7 Posts
if you could do that i would recommend a sealed box... we but one of those kenwood free air subs in a bulkhead in our bass boat and with 150W it honestly sounded no louder than two 6x9's
I would absolutely go with a sealed box.

Agreed, free air is generally for those mounting to deck lids and small enclosed spaces, though not exacltly sealed. And yes, I would try to get as much space out of the box as possible to obtain better lows.

in theory u would have to biuld a box twice that size for two right??
Yes... but, I'm only going to put one sub under each seat... the front seats that is.

Not sure that you could find a way to put two subs under just one of them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
As far as sealed boxes go I wouldn't reccommend it if you listen to a lot of rap. If it's just bass from a bass drum that will sound fine but if you listen to much hip hop or rap certain notes will make a funny whirring noise when it hits in a sealed box. Jeezy songs do this a lot but it didn't in a ported box.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.