Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cautionary tale.... SRM made me unhappy. Took truck for check up. I was worried about ATF/Coolant cross-contamination, chain tensioner, alternator, etc. I was kind of anxious over stuff when the SW said the charge was going to be $19.95, so I signed (not seeing the oil change that was listed.) The SW didn't ask about synthetic or regular oil, which I think should be mandatory! That would have certainly made me aware of it. When I caught the problem, I explained that I had talked w/SW when making the resv, and oil chg, air and cabin filter, etc. were all to be excluded (as I do them, myself.) I even typed a very specific list of items I wanted, oil change was not on there. The svc dept mgr wouldn't dump and refill with syn. Well, they lost a sale. I'd been out test driving a vehicle and thinking about the ATFcontamination and chain tensioner, and I had talked myself into buying another vehicle .... UNTIL the service manager pissed me off. I would have paid the diff in price between dino & syn to keep from having to drive the truck on dino oil. As it is, I will not use Stones River Motors for anything else.

·
Premium Member
3,550 Posts
I always heard they were hard to deal with. I bought my wife's first X from Action Nissan and always went back there for oil changes. Never had any complaints.

·
Registered
819 Posts
I cannot comment on what actually happened to you; however I will comment on Stones River and how they treated my brother and his 2005 Pathfinder.

He had the cross contamination issue which damaged the transmission. Nissan declined to cover the repair stating the radiator caused the issue and the radiator is not covered under the warranty. The service manager fought on behalf of my brother and got the replacement of the transmission covered by Nissan. He was extremely helpful and saved my brother several thousand bucks.

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
... the charge was going to be $19.95 ...
A fill of dino oil isn't going to ruin your engine and at $20, you got a fair deal. Just replace it next time. I'm old school over 50 Years Old, but sometimes I think the synthetic v. dino oil dual is overdone. I've used dino oil on every car we've owned and have gotten over 250,000 Miles on all of them and have never had excessive oil consumption on any of them.

Synthetics are great for sure, but dino oils are fine too. Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
FitzIngarage: I just read in Popular Mechanics (online) that it is no longer a problem changing between dino and syn. It was news to me. Like my name implies, I'm jstpsgthruyrwrld. You're right $20 is not bad for an oil change and it's a great deal for all the things they checked, although I told them that I would pay for the inspections. I stand corrected, I over-reacted. I have had good support @ SRM and some not so good. The mgr this time was not the same. But, I think that a customer should be asked if they use syn oil (just good bus.) Also, I'm cynical enough to think they don't charge for those 21 point inspections to keep from being sued if something fails after they ok'd it. And, I think things as prevalent as squeaking belt tensioners, timing chain tensioners and coolant/ATF cross-contamination should be fixed free of charge, regardless of mileage. Unfortunately, ALL businesses are like SRM, so changing brands probably won't do any good, but I'm going to give it a try (after 5 Nissans,) hopefully before something expensive happens.

·
Registered
106 Posts
To get back to the issue of the dealership and away from an argument of synthetic motor oil, I also had a problem with this dealership. Took my truck in because it was making a clicking sound. They diagnosed the harmonic balancer on the crankshaft pulley was causing it. I was skeptical at first, and became even more skeptical when I told them I would do that repair myself. They wanted nearly $600 to put in a $200 part AND they wanted to replace other parts (idler pulleys on drive belts and the belts themselves) that were clearly brand new (only 10k miles on them, changed when I did the timing belt). They hemmed and hawed when I said I would do it and tried to convince me to let them fix it so they could get their $300 labor charges. Took me about an hour to do myself and didn't even come close to fixing the problem. (The part did need to be replaced though but it's not what I asked them to do.) Turns out it was an exhaust leak at the passenger manifold.

I figured out that it was an exhaust leak by taking it to Robert's Nissan in Manchester to get a second opinion. They were extremely helpful and had it fixed within a day and ALSO didn't charge me the outrageous $90 diagnostic fee. I had my little Sentra in there the week before for a new half shaft and they took some pity on me and helped me out a little with the truck too. The mechanic and service reps are very friendly too.

So, bottom line? Don't go to the Murfreesboro Nissan dealer, it's well worth the drive down to Manchester if your car/truck can make it 30 miles.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Ive used these guys several times.. They have a chunky Service tech that is a dildo..
Other than that they have replaced a CVT in the Wifes Maxima and did a great job.

I think all car dealer repair shops are hit or miss.. We tend to think because these cars are all computers that they can plug them in and bam! Hear is the issue.. Not so..
Id rather go to a local independent shop :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts