Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello again everybody,
Has anyone replaced their stock catalytic converters (cats) with aftermarket ones? I am going to have a local mechanic my genuine nissan "bullet style" cats with aftermarket ones. They are not going to be the same shape but he got under the truck and said he could replace them with what he had. He said he might have to remove the crossmember to weld them on. Has anyone had trouble with aftermarket cats? Will I lost performance? I do not have warranty anymore, and everyone including the dealership has told me my stock cats are probably ruined due to a service shop adding too much oil to my engine. Stock cats are $650.00 for one side and $755.00 for the other. Local mechanic has them for $120.00 plus $90.00 labor. Should I do it???

Ooops! A few forgotten words and misspelled words in original thread. My local mechanic is going to REPLACE my stock cats with aftermarket, non "bullet style" cats. Will I lose any performance?

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Hello again everybody,
Has anyone replaced their stock catalytic converters (cats) with aftermarket ones? I am going to have a local mechanic my genuine nissan "bullet style" cats with aftermarket ones. They are not going to be the same shape but he got under the truck and said he could replace them with what he had. He said he might have to remove the crossmember to weld them on. Has anyone had trouble with aftermarket cats? Will I lost performance? I do not have warranty anymore, and everyone including the dealership has told me my stock cats are probably ruined due to a service shop adding too much oil to my engine. Stock cats are $650.00 for one side and $755.00 for the other. Local mechanic has them for $120.00 plus $90.00 labor. Should I do it???
if your gunna replace cats, go with high flow cats, screw aftermarket OEM wanna be's.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
You can get good hi-flow magnaflow cats for $70ea. The question though is do you mean just the 2nd set of cats or the primary ones(we have 4 total). If you are talking about just the rear set, you can replace them with the magnaflows with no problems and would be very easy to install. You can also just replace the 2nd ones with just straight pipe. You can see a little performance gain if you go this dirrection. Now if you are talking about the primary set, you can also replace them with the magnaflows. They fit just fine. Basically, if you are simply removing any of the stock ones & replacing them, then for sure the magnaflows are a great replacement choice since they are highflow, good quality, and low priced.

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
Just putting this out there, the CATS are covered under the emissions warranty for 80k miles.

Also, if you are replacing the CATS, highflows are a must. If they are the rear ones, might as well have a set of B pipes fabbed up instead of the cats.

·
Registered
741 Posts
then get a tune. you will need it

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow! Thanks for quite a bit of info. Sorry I didn't specify more earlier. The cats I am referring too are the primary set (closest to engine). So...if I replace the primaries with Magnaflows...I have to tune them? Sorry if I sound dumb on this subject. Will I lose the little bit of "umph" I currently have with the LE's exhaust and Airaid Cold Intake?

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
If you just do the primary cats, your A/F ratio shouldn't be to bad, especially if you keep the original tubing which is pretty restrictive. Anymore than that, you should get a tune. As far as "umph", again if you do just the primary cat and leave the tubing and 2nd cats alone, I think your performance wont be affected much. We basically have 3 restiction issues with the cats. The primarys, secondaries, and small tubing/bad angles. Change all three and your A/F ratios will be way off. What your planning should be safe though.

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
Side Note: Your LE's exhaust is not different then the SE or Nismo. The only difference between these models is that the Nismo and possibly the LE has a chrome tip.

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
My 07 needed battery replaced about 2 months ago. So it didn't even last 2 years. Had a partial pro-rated warrenty.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Did we get redirected to another post or something??? Or is Zenophobe confused??:)

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
sorry posted in the wrong subject...I was a little confused myself.

·
Registered
73 Posts
As far as a "tune" goes... What exactly do you have to do to tune it? Do you have to take to a dealer and have them mess with it? I thought the computer was able to adjust the A/F ratio?

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
i am new to 2nd gens and wondering this myself

·
Registered
985 Posts
FWIW, your cats are probably not ruined if you don't have a SEL. Two, aftermarket cats don't usually have the same amount of rare earth elements as the OEM and they don't perform (emissions reductions) as well for as long. That can be a problem if you have emission inspections. You won't get something for nothing. Cheap cats are cheap for reason.

If you aren't addressing emissions, why have cats at all?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi everyone. I have bad news about replacing the cats with magnaflows. In November 2009, my IPDM went bad, This caused numerous misfires and lots of other problems. My cats went bad and I had to have them replaced for emissions which were due in February. I got both primary cats replaced with magnaflows for 600. The truck runs much better but here i am in October with the P420 and P430 lights on. I have been told by my buddy at Nissan this is getting to be a big problem. The Emissions specs in our trucks are so precise that aftermarket cats wont last long. There is nothing really wrong with them, our frontiers are very particual as far as the emisson system is concerned.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts