Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to buy, black step bars. Plenty out there to choose from but looking for some that will last awhile in the northeast winters. Suggestions?

·
Premium Member
1,926 Posts
You want a beauty bar that will get your pants muddy? Or a rock rail?

·
Premium Member
1,926 Posts
If a rockrail, White knuckle offroad all day long.

Otherwise, whatever floats yer boat and budget

·
Registered
12 Posts
Brands like N-Fab and Westin will be some of the best options to choose from. If you have time try to check out 4wheelonline and browse the nerf bar/step bar category.

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
Most step rails, due to the thin wall steel used and crappy construction, will only last a year or two in harsh winters. Your better off spending the money for a true slider step which are sturdier built, and actually protect the vehicle and you.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Brands like N-Fab and Westin will be some of the best options to choose from. If you have time try to check out 4wheelonline and browse the nerf bar/step bar category.
Do any of those use mountting brackets that are discrete parts relative to the rail itself?

I could see if someone doesn't want the weight, expense, and installation hassles of proper rock sliders, going with one of these if the brackets are modular because when the horizontal tube eventually goes, a cheap tube from a metal supply place might just be able to drop-on to those brackets to replace it.

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
Not sure what hassle you are worried about with proper sliders. Hefty, Shrock and others are bolt on. I can remove my Hefty sliders and brackets in 45 minutes depending on how rusty the bolts are.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Not sure what hassle you are worried about with proper sliders. Hefty, Shrock and others are bolt on. I can remove my Hefty sliders and brackets in 45 minutes depending on how rusty the bolts are.

Who are you replying to? I the original poster only posted once and didn't comment on any sort of worry or hassle.

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
Do any of those use mountting brackets that are discrete parts relative to the rail itself?

I could see if someone doesn't want the weight, expense, and installation hassles of proper rock sliders, going with one of these if the brackets are modular because when the horizontal tube eventually goes, a cheap tube from a metal supply place might just be able to drop-on to those brackets to replace it.
This was you that I replied to

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
This was you that I replied to

And why do you think I'm worried?

I can see someone not wanting the expense of rock sliders if they're never going to go on anything more serious than gravel roads.

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
I have a 2" lift, my slider and left front wheel absorbed 90% of the impact and kept a Jetta from crushing the footwell or possibly causing me to roll. Hefty Fabworks and others have pictures from other customers with similar stories. There's someone who used to post that was t-boned at the drivers door, his slider took the impact, bent the frame, but the drivers door could still be opened.

In your first post, you said you live in the NE, i live in Colorado, on my last truck, those cheap side steps would last 2 or 3 winters then rust out. Also, those steps typical bolt to the body mount, as I learned the hard way, theu caused the body mount to rust out too, not a cheap fix.

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
You'll spend $600 to $800 for a set of sliders. Probably out last the vehicle. Cheap steps, $250 to $300, maybe last 2 or 3 yrs.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I have to agree it all depends on what you want out of them. I got a super cheap set off of ebay for $150 about 2 years ago. I just wanted something to help my toddler climb up into the truck and I wanted the hoop style and not a plank. I hope to not need them anymore in a few years and will take them off and likely throw them away. I in no way expect them to last a long time, especially with how/where they mount up on the body. I forsee the mounts rusting off.. Not sure why Nissan went that route with running boards, instead of mounting to the frame like most trucks.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts