Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I was just wondering if anyone on here has tried to swap their Frontier steering wheel with one from an Altima or Maxima. Don't even know if its possible but the reason I ask is because I'm not such a huge fan of the big chunk of material at the 6 o'clock position of our stock wheels. I find that when I'm turning, sometimes I don't get a good grip of the wheel when I grab there. But hey maybe its just me, just thought I'd throw this out there. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
I just want a black steering wheel, but still a nissan and one that I can still use my cruise control with... so i'm also wondering if steering wheel swaps are possible with any other nissans...

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I'm not such a huge fan of the big chunk of material at the 6 o'clock position of our stock wheels. I find that when I'm turning, sometimes I don't get a good grip of the wheel when I grab there. But hey maybe its just me, just thought I'd throw this out there. Thanks.
you and me both buddy. with a manual trans i often only have one hand on the wheel right in that chunky flat spot. stupid designers.

anyhoo, past nissan generations shared a lot of similarities. the number of splines on the steering column happened to be one of them. steering wheels were interchangeable between a 300zx and a 240 and the hardbody pickups. knowing that, id bet a dollar that nissan still does this. check ebay and see if you can pick up one for cheap and try it out.

·
Registered
506 Posts
^^^^ Agreed. I know most hondas of the same years will fit each other. I'm sure nissan is no different. could also see if the clocksprings are interchangeable and even get something with illuminated controls. (why we don't already have this is beyone me).

·
Registered
506 Posts
Aclockspring is a flat cable that is loosely coiled and cased in plastic. its what makes it possible to run power to all of the air bag and steering wheel buttons while still being able to turn the wheel. I was meaning that you could check the clocksprings from both vehicles to see if the wire count is the same and if the altima one will work, you could use the altima wheen and have the buttons light up.
Here's a pic of a clock spring...

·
Registered
6,057 Posts
wow.. i always wondered how the connections in the wheel stayed intact when it was turned. I had a completely different theory on how that was done.... i was waaaay off.

·
Registered
506 Posts
wow.. i always wondered how the connections in the wheel stayed intact when it was turned. I had a completely different theory on how that was done.... i was waaaay off.
Well, back when there was only a horn, most just had a simple metal tabs that would make constant contact with a greased metal disc if that makes feel any better. :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
on my 2000 i used a wheel from a 99 infinity to get cruse and a nicer wheel. it all pluged in to the clockspring with no problem.

·
Registered
8,742 Posts
if you look most nissans used that wheel

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Well, back when there was only a horn, most just had a simple metal tabs that would make constant contact with a greased metal disc if that makes feel any better. :)
aka a slip-ring. We use those in our robots. They also put big ones on the tops of Krones Canmatic fillers (I used to work at Poland Springs).

·
Registered
152 Posts
A GT-R wheel like this would be awesome!

I wonder about controls and airbag tho

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
What about the new 2013 Titan wheel?

SOOOO, I found this. "Nissan Frontier SV 4X4 Attack 10 anos" from Brazil, has a nice looking steering wheel, from the Rogue.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
I wonder about controls and airbag tho
as long as the splines match for the wheel itself it ought to fit. the wiring connectors for the steering controls should all match up, if not. you can splice a new connector on to it. the airbag module, you would just have to purchase the airbag module made to fit that steering wheel. the connectors are the same regardless. theres no reason to make new connectors for different model airbags. TBH. ive seen the same steering wheel airbag connectors for both nissan and GMC vehicles. i think the only difference is the number of connectors. some models and manufacturers use just one connector, where some use 2. but the connector type and size and orientation has been the same regardless.

so..if the hardware fits. the wiring can be modified to make it work.

i just wonder how pricy that would be.

http://photos.ecarlist.com/wf/79/Nm/UZ/ky/VN/LT/49/9u/dR/2A_800.jpg

believe this one is out of a 370z. probably cheaper than the GT-R and adds a slimmer 3 spoke design. for those not interested in the 4 spoke look

4 spoke altima wheel from a 2012 coupe
http://pictures.dealer.com/s/sherwaynissantc/0022/61bdfdfc4046387200ea85b40baab742.jpg

and a 2nd for the 4spoke altima. i think im sold on the altima wheel. http://cf.juggle-images.com/fit/white/600x600/-vert-nissan-altima-steering-wheel.jpg

·
Registered
52 Posts
The altima wheel looks great, I'm going to scan the salvage yards here a bit and see if I can pick up one of these wheels to test it out. Also a friend of mine wants to see which NRG hub fits on the truck so as to offer complete aftermarket replacements.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
heated function would only work if you wired in a switch to turn it on. the factory wiring wouldnt permit it in a stock frontier. like. an SV model or something. so even if hte connector fit youd have to put in the terminals to power that circuit, then run new wire to a dash switch to turn it off....and youd have to pay attention that you didnt burn the heater element out or burn yourself because wiring it in that way would not include a brain module to shut down the heater after a certain temperature....

so. its not impossible..

but youd have to know just what you were doing, to get it done.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hmm...intriguing. Getting a whole Armada column and then cherry picking components doesn't seem too bad, and they're available online for ~$315. Running extra wires is reasonably straightfoward if the Armada guts would be used, and I'd only run the element enough to take the chill out of those -35 days so burnout danger seems minimal. I have this sort of wheel in my Rio and they're a finger-saver for Cdn winters.

Anyone have any idea if the airbag would swap across?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts