Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 SV 4x4 with 116k mikes. I purchased it brand new. Due to some front end noises, pops, etc. I recently had the sway bar end links replaced by the dealer along with the passenger side ball joint. They rebalanced my wheels and did a front end alignment. That got rid of the front end noises. But...going down the road especially on uneven or slightly bumpy roads I every now and then get a slight steering wheel shimmy. The shimmy goes away but I know it's not as tight as it used to be. Like I said they did a front end alignment and also balanced the tires. Are there any other bushings or links that may need some attention or could it be front end struts? Or is it time to trade the truck in. Thanks all!

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Did this shimmy start right after the tire balance? If so, maybe suspect that.

If mine: first thing I'd do would be to mount rears on the front, see if shimmy is better, worse, or the same. Of course, this is easier if you put the fronts on the rears for testing !!!

·
Registered
80 Posts
How many miles do your tires have on them? I have found radial tires I have often start having strange handling issues when they are nearing end of life, but long before the tread is too low. I have been told its some sort of minor belt separation, but I am not an expert - just have experienced the affect.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
General AT 2 Grabbers with only 8k miles on them. I can't quite say if it was right after the dealer rebalanced tires. The reason he rebalanced them was because he said there was a slight front end shimmy. I guess I notice it now is because I have been paying closer attention to the front end to see if noises went away.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The odd thing is...I don't get any steering wheel shimmy on smooth roads. It only experience shimmy on bumpy or uneven roads and the shimmy then goes away pretty quickly. Could balancing still be the problem? Or could it be other front end components that due to age and mileage just are not as tight any more?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A pair of KYB SR4202 Sruts in the front took care of it. Rides and handles like brand new. A pair of Monroe 37273 shocks in the rear for good measure. All is well. Thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts