Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have looked high and low for this answer or even any information on the subject and I haven't found pretty much anything and I really want to know what about it!!
But I'm looking for information about the radio steering wheel controls and how to add them or get them. Is there any trucks that are prewired or trucks that have them that I should look for that I can use as a part trucks. I also have an aftermarket stereo and am wondering if the steering wheel controls can still be used.
At this point I'm just looking for any info to get me going and point me in the right direction.

Thanks!!
Also I have a 2002 XE Crew Cab 3.3

·
Super Moderator
3,188 Posts
I can't tell you if your vehicle is pre-wired for the controls, but I can tell you that when an aftermarket radio is installed in a vehicle with steering wheel controls, they will not work unless you get an adapter harness, which you can get from places like PAC Audio or Crutchfield.

·
Registered
195 Posts
if you have the wires for the fogs and other things like mine you may have the harness for the audio controls too, i plan on checking for mine soon

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I did have the fog wires prewired and I when I did my radio I found 2 connects behind the radio that I didn't know what they were for but weren't connected to my actually radio but I also didn't have a 6 disc radio so maybe they were for them.
I guess the best thing to do would to take it apart again and follow the wires? Also does anyone have a part number for the controls on the steering wheel?

Also Luke9511 if you found out anything please let me know!!

Thanks for the help guys!

·
Registered
195 Posts
I did have the fog wires prewired and I when I did my radio I found 2 connects behind the radio that I didn't know what they were for but weren't connected to my actually radio but I also didn't have a 6 disc radio so maybe they were for them.
I guess the best thing to do would to take it apart again and follow the wires? Also does anyone have a part number for the controls on the steering wheel?

Also Luke9511 if you found out anything please let me know!!

Thanks for the help guys!
i found the part number in a different older thread a while back but cannot find it right now, but i searched online and could not find one may have to check a junkyard

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Might have to do that then. I might go to the dealership and see what they say if it is something still available.

·
Premium Member
5,870 Posts
I can't tell you if your vehicle is pre-wired for the controls, but I can tell you that when an aftermarket radio is installed in a vehicle with steering wheel controls, they will not work unless you get an adapter harness, which you can get from places like PAC Audio or Crutchfield.
For clarity, the adaptor module (not just a harness) isn't the only requirement - the aftermarket head unit has to have the feature too. In other words you'd need:

1. Steering wheel with OEM stereo controls on it (and the associated OEM wiring)
2. Aftermarket head unit that HAS the ability to be interfaced with OEM stereo controls
3. Adaptor module and wiring to connect #1 and #2 together

·
Super Moderator
3,188 Posts
Did gen 1's even come available with steering wheel controls for the radio? I know gen 2's have them, but I don't ever recall seeing them on gen 1's.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Did gen 1's even come available with steering wheel controls for the radio? I know gen 2's have them, but I don't ever recall seeing them on gen 1's.
they did though from what i have seen it was a little rare, i havent seen any for sale that have it but have seen other pictures that have it

·
Registered
477 Posts
I think you may also need the clock spring that goes under the steering wheel and feeds the input from the wheel to the harness. How they do the signal routing and stuff is a bit of a mystery to me, admittedly, but I know there has to be some wire that runs through the column, and I think it is voltage based (or maybe resistance based).

·
Registered
814 Posts
I did this on my 2000 Crew Cab. Steering wheel controls weren't even an option for that year and mine is a SE, LOADED, even has a sun roof. What you will need is the controls obviously, ClockSpring or as Nissan likes to call it a "Spiral Cable". Get on autotrader and get some vin numbers of models where you see they have the Steering Controls. Then vin search on a parts site and find out the exact part # of Spiral Cable you need. I would do the same for the Steering Wheel or just check yours to see if has the mounting brace for the audio controls like it does on the Cruise Switch side. Everything should just be plug and play. Swap your clockspring and if you don't have the 2 or 3 wires running from the harness on the clockspring on the steering column to the Deck then you can splice them in and run them to the Pac Switch. thats what i did a few years ago and everything is fine. Not hard to do at all so long as you have the parts. Oh, and you will need a Steering Wheel Puller. Harbor Freight has them dirt cheap and wheel is simple to get off. Just make sure you disconnect the battery before unhook the airbag. FSM for wiring diagram too: Nissan Frontier Factory Service Manuals
Here's a post I made in ClubXterra a couple years ago. NOt exactly what we're talking about here but help you to get a better understanding.
Steering Wheel Swap - Nissan Xterra Forum

It really is a pretty simple process to add these controls tho. If yours is an 02 then most likely all you'll need to do is just get the clockspring and controls. I'd be willing to bet the the steering wheels are all the same. Pretty sure if i remember right clockspings/spiral cable varies depending on the options your particular vehicle came with tho. Also only 02-04 clocksprings will work if your model is 02-04. An 01 will not work. The harness and location of the individual pins will not line up.

I've done it all to my truck. Swapped out the old 90's Dash for the 02-04 X/Fronty Dash, Steering Wheel and Controls, and added the 3rd Brakelight with Cargo Lamp that was also not an option til 01 or 02.

On Left when i was almost done with dash swap and Old Steering Wheel still in (No Audio Controls). On Right Brand New 01 Wheel with Audio Controls.
[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
814 Posts
yeah, i remember when i was looking a couple years ago they were few and far between. The ones for Nissan Quest and cruise control are easy to find but they're opposites. The controls are on the opposite side that the xterras frontiers are. It would be possible to switch the sides of the connections inside the steering wheel. Then you gotta make sure the cruise switch is the same. The internals of the cruise switch differ on different years.

99 00 01 02 NISSAN QUEST STEERING WHEEL AUDIO CONTROL SWITCH OEM | eBay

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well its been awhile since i have been able to update but that time has come! But i finally found a loaded Xterra in a junkyard and found the controls along with the clock spring and anything else i could think of that i thought could be useful for the install. So im going to attempt this when i get the chance and let you guys know how it goes! Also looks i might have to update my stereo to actually test them out! Perfect excuse to spend some money haha

Also im going to piggy back on this thread while there i found the overhead console with the display on and im super excited about this! but has anyone actually added one of these? Is everything inside the console? or do i need to get more to actually get it to work? So let me know what you know or point me in the right direction

·
Registered
794 Posts
You know, this will probably sound real ghetto, but I'm thinking of attaching the remote for my new head unit to the driver's armrest panel, in the space between the lock switches and the door pull. There's plenty of room for it, it's right there at my fingertips, and has full functionality versus the limited number of functions on the steering wheel-mounted controls.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts