Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had a new Pioneer avh-4200nex installed into my 2012 Pro4x. I love the head unit and it sounds amazing. The shop used the harness so the factory steering wheel controls would work. The volume works great. However the channel adjustment has some issues.

1) It's backward...when I change channels up, it goes down. When I change the channels down, it goes up. I'm sure that's just a wiring issue, hopefully an easy fix.

2) Sometimes, the steering wheel control seems to skip presets. For example I'm on station 1 and I want to go down a few channels. It will go 1,2,3, and then jump back to 1 again. Sometimes It skips 1 or 2 presets and other times it skips multiples. Then there are times it will work perfectly. Any suggestions before I take it back to the shop? Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
7,123 Posts
Unhook your battery for awhile = hard reboot?

·
Registered
575 Posts
Unhook your battery for awhile = hard reboot?
That won't do anything for the aftermarket steering wheel adapter harnesses.

I had similar trouble with the auto-programming Axxess harness, well 3 of them actually, paired with my 4100NEX. I finally replaced the Axxess with a PAC harness that needs to be programmed manually and it hasn't missed a beat. Axxess says it's a resistance issue since I didn't want to cut my stock harness to wire it in (I used Posi-taps which are the next best thing to soldering IMHO so I'm slightly skeptical of the resistance excuse) and they might be right but in the end, resistance problem or otherwise, the Axxess parts just didn't work for my system and the PAC does.

You didn't say which harness you had installed or how it was done (soldered or other...) so I don't know if your issue is the same as mine, but if it's an Axxess harness and the shop didn't solder it in then that could be the problem. If you don't want to cut your stock harness (if it hasn't already been done) then I'd suggest trying Posi-taps, and if that doesn't work try the PAC.

·
Premium Member
7,123 Posts
Yes sir. Was thinking more along the lines of the radio's electrical innards re: the presets...and what the OP could do in the meantime.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to swing by the shop that installed it and have them take a look. I'm not sure which harness they used when they did the install.

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
They probably just programmed it wrong. When I put my axxess in it took a few tries to get the buttons working correctly. The presets it has didn't work with my radio so I had to manually set each button. Its all in the directions for the unit.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I programmed one of my Axxess manually as well, the only one I got to work for little while. Otherwise I couldn't even get the things to recognize the truck harness wires they were hooked up to, specifically the purple wire. I tried everything except solder, including switching the harness pins/wires (purple<-->white if I remember correctly, might be green... which it would recognize, but of course then they were connected to the wrong wires...), manually programming, rebooting, resetting, different auto-programs, etc. When the one that actually worked for a while went wonky on me (same symptoms as the OP) I tried resetting it and it stopped seeing the purple wire connection altogether, just like the others. I finally gave up on them and tried the PAC unit which installed the exact same way as the Axxess and once programmed (10 minute process) it hasn't stumbled once. So I know when the Axxess works it works, but it just seems way too finicky IMHO, at least with my setup.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts