Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been noticing a minor vibration through my steering wheel. I can feel it in long sweeping corners at speeds above 60km/h. It's more pronounced coming out of a corner when the steering wheel returns to center, slightly more so in left turns. My wheels are torqued to spec, new tires (Hankook ATM) 12,000km ago which I have rotated twice. Alignment was good when the tires were put on and the vibration was present with the original tires.

With my drivers window down I can hear a very slight dragging, sort of a "CH-CH-CH" as if a rotor has a high spot but the truck brakes smoothly. The tempo of the noise matches the vibration in the steering though. I haven't pulled the rotors yet but the wheel bearings feel good.

Anyone dealt with a similar issue? I don't want to chase this problem around. Another thing I'll mention is every so often I feel/hear a "click" from my steering column when it's centering.. odd.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I would pull it apart and check to see if the caliper is stuck and not allowing it to release all the way. It could still brake smooth but not open all the way, and a warped rotor pressing on it might give a vibration. I would also check your wheels to see if you have lost any weights because that would do it.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would pull it apart and check to see if the caliper is stuck and not allowing it to release all the way. It could still brake smooth but not open all the way, and a warped rotor pressing on it might give a vibration. I would also check your wheels to see if you have lost any weights because that would do it.
Will check the calipers, they need fresh grease anyhow. I've already eliminated the tires as a culprit. It feels like a steering system issue, possibly a tie rod end.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Had a quick look at my tie rod ends and found play on the drivers side. Haven't figured out if it's the inner or outer just yet. Stay tuned.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts