Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been noticing a minor vibration through my steering wheel. I can feel it in long sweeping corners at speeds above 60km/h. It's more pronounced coming out of a corner when the steering wheel returns to center, slightly more so in left turns. My wheels are torqued to spec, new tires (Hankook ATM) 12,000km ago which I have rotated twice. Alignment was good when the tires were put on and the vibration was present with the original tires.

With my drivers window down I can hear a very slight dragging, sort of a "CH-CH-CH" as if a rotor has a high spot but the truck brakes smoothly. The tempo of the noise matches the vibration in the steering though. I haven't pulled the rotors yet but the wheel bearings feel good.

Anyone dealt with a similar issue? I don't want to chase this problem around. Another thing I'll mention is every so often I feel/hear a "click" from my steering column when it's centering.. odd.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I would pull it apart and check to see if the caliper is stuck and not allowing it to release all the way. It could still brake smooth but not open all the way, and a warped rotor pressing on it might give a vibration. I would also check your wheels to see if you have lost any weights because that would do it.

Reactions: Ryno_7

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would pull it apart and check to see if the caliper is stuck and not allowing it to release all the way. It could still brake smooth but not open all the way, and a warped rotor pressing on it might give a vibration. I would also check your wheels to see if you have lost any weights because that would do it.
Will check the calipers, they need fresh grease anyhow. I've already eliminated the tires as a culprit. It feels like a steering system issue, possibly a tie rod end.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Had a quick look at my tie rod ends and found play on the drivers side. Haven't figured out if it's the inner or outer just yet. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Was the brake rotors, inner surfaces were badly worn and uneven with hard spots. So bad they were probably off balance, weird thing is it stopped smoothly.

Never tracked down that loose tie rod end, I think it's actually just a bit of play in the rack. There's also some play in my steering column itself, if I pull on the steering wheel towards myself it clunks slightly.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Noted thank you.
Some one else had mentioned an issue with the OD in the transmission not applying enough pressure IE the transmission failure being in the near future.

going to check the rad coolant and see if it’s contaminated tomorrow hoping for the best

·
Registered
24 Posts

previous owner replaced the rad but I don’t know if they were aware of the issue, and or did the bypass.
Tough for me to get a good look I live in Brooklyn and don’t have a lot of space to work / remove pieces to see

1 - 9 of 9 Posts