Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About to start the replacement of my steering rack and I'm just wondering if anyone has done this themselves yet or not and if they have any tips?! The manual says to drop the front end , looking at it though it seems u may be able to remove the drivers side shock and pull it that way ? Any thoughts ?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Well I surprised myself and managed to do it without removing the axles but u do have to remove the drivers side shock and the passengers side steeringrack mounting bracket on the rack itself, u still have to drop the front end down though to turn the rack before sliding it out BUT YOU DON'T have to pull the axles as the manual says. Total time to replace was about 4 hrs on a garage floor.
It did have to be done as the play in the rack was horrible, took a while to track it down to the rack but the clunk and play was inside the rack on the drivers side. It all feels nice tight now.just have to go out this morning and adjust my toe.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I figured I would post up my experience from this weekend. I replaced my leaky rack and pinion yesterday. I had read through the instructions on the Haynes manual, and it seemed pretty easy.

The only item that wasn't mentioned in the Haynes manual was the fact that you need to drop the front diff to be able to remove the rack and pinion. With the diff out, it was easy to drop the rack.

Note: The rack and pinion mounting bolts (3) were installed by the same jacka$$ that installed the lower front shock bolts. Those bolts were on there tight!!!

Bought my remanufactured rack from (RockAuto Auto Parts). Changed out the outer tierods, too (also from Rock Auto). I'm at 110K miles, so it made sense to change them out, especially since I had to take them off anyway.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts