Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Allright, here it goes. I bought the truck with 30k miles on it......practically brand new. When I first got it, I noticed that I had to turn the wheel slightly left to drive a straight line, and it was pulling to the right. Obviously it was the alignment, so I had the dealership fix it. I got the truck back and the problem is pretty much in reverse. Now I have to turn the wheel to the right to drive a straight line, but the wheel isn't pulling. If I point the steering wheel straight, the truck drives to the left. I took it back and told them that there was still an issue. The dealership told me that the alignment was in specification, so I'm just wondering if anyone has some insight as to what the problem could be. I'm also getting some vibration at highway speeds. For instance at highway speeds, I can look at the passenger seat and it's shaking from the vibration. The tires looks brand new, and the dealership also said that they balanced the tires, so do any of you guys have any idea what that could be?

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
take it back and tell them the steering wheel is off center.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I already did that, and they told me that it was not possible. I was told by a guy i know that i could possibly have the steering linkage adjusted to fix the problem, but i'm not sure.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Make the guy ride with you and show him the problem. Sometimes they just need to see it since they seem to have a hard time believing people actually know how a vehicle is supposed to ride.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Make the guy ride with you and show him the problem. Sometimes they just need to see it since they seem to have a hard time believing people actually know how a vehicle is supposed to ride.
yep could not have said it better myself,i had a problem with my wipers ,they would stop working after being on a few minutes,dealer said they where fine (i told him to spray it with a hose for ten minutes)
got me a new motor and refused to take it back until it was fixed.
i also had his loaner for a week ,brand new x terra.nice ride,

·
Registered
378 Posts
Allright, here it goes. I bought the truck with 30k miles on it......practically brand new. When I first got it, I noticed that I had to turn the wheel slightly left to drive a straight line, and it was pulling to the right. Obviously it was the alignment, so I had the dealership fix it. I got the truck back and the problem is pretty much in reverse. Now I have to turn the wheel to the right to drive a straight line, but the wheel isn't pulling. If I point the steering wheel straight, the truck drives to the left. I took it back and told them that there was still an issue. The dealership told me that the alignment was in specification, so I'm just wondering if anyone has some insight as to what the problem could be. I'm also getting some vibration at highway speeds. For instance at highway speeds, I can look at the passenger seat and it's shaking from the vibration. The tires looks brand new, and the dealership also said that they balanced the tires, so do any of you guys have any idea what that could be?
I know this will sound stupid, but make sure all the tires are the same size. You may also have a bad tire. If you can jack up each wheel up one at a time, lay your hand flat on top of the tread and rotate the wheel, see if you can feel a lump. Look at the sidewalls too, for any wobble, then look at the rims for any signs of damage.

·
Registered
985 Posts
May be too late for you right now, but I always insist on a printout of the alignment specs before and after. If they are close to the center of the allowance tolerance and not out side to side, I'd first start changing the tires around. If there is a tire issue, this will bring it out with clues. If nothing changes with tire rotation (side to side by the way), it is likely the center setting is off a bit. Easy adjustment once you get by the blind mechanic. As to the shanking, my 08 has some shake since new. Its the tires and varies from day to day (temp probably). Just waiting to get Michelins on. From my 40 years of experience that is the only solution that is permanent. You can balance the US brands monthly or Michelins once.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts