Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '06 SE Crew Cab and my steering wheel is wobbling. I read in other threads that this is caused by some sort of bearing failure. There is no popping or grinding noise when I turn the steering wheel. I was just wondering for those who replaced theres, how much did you pay for it. My warranty expired so it will be out of pocket expense. Thanks you your help.

·
Super Moderator
11,059 Posts
The steering column itself is about $300 according to Nissan Parts - Everythingnissan.com No idea how much time is needed for labor.
I would attempt this myself, but the airbag makes me not willing to try to remove it. In the old days I'd just learn as I go.

Clint

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought there would be more responses. I looked at the service manual, doesn't look too bad to replace the steering column. Anyboby replaced theres?

·
Registered
637 Posts
I dont think there are many responses as I'm not sure if this has happened more than a handful of times. I only remember reading about it once on here and I think it was the dealer that replaced it.

I've replaced a column in a Suburban (older body style w/o airbag) and it wasnt too hard. I had a Jeep Cherokee with a loose steering wheel and didnt replace the column. I tore into it and found a piece inside that came loose. Tightened it back up and it was good to go.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I don't think anyone on here replaced it without having the dealer do it since it was under warranty at the time it happened.

·
Premium Member
2,713 Posts
Do you offroad your truck or are there a lot of potholes/rough roads you frequent? If so it may be nothing more than a loose bolt.

If you hold the steering linkage behind the wheel, and turn the wheel you can feel if they are moving separately. If they are moving together check the bolts in your inner tie rods and upper steering linkage.

My steering wheel had about a 1/2" of play and I thought I had damaged the rack. But after thoroughly checking everything I discovered the bolt in the linkage (right near the cab side upper control arm mount) was loose because I had slightly bent the linkage on a hard hit. I pulled the bolt, threw on some loc-tite, tightened everything back up and it was good as new.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts