Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I have a dying steering column in my 2006 SE. The steering wheel has developed a bad wobble, I took the wheel off and it looks like a bearing in the column is the culprit. I am out of warranty so this is going to be a diy repair.

Does anyone have experience swapping steering columns? How hard of a job is it? Will I be able to swap over my existing ignition/key assembly at home or do I need special tools? Will a steering column from a later frontier work with my 2006? There is a rear ended 2007 at my local scrap yard where I could get a used column much cheaper then a new column. Is there any way to replace the faulty bearing in my existing column?

If anyone has any info here it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
11,539 Posts
If you were comfortable to pull it apart to where you are, I think you can switch the rest of it too. Sure you can change the ignition switch. Some trucks had this issue so find out which year and avoid it.

Clint

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anyone know if the 2007 column will be compatible with my 06? I would hate to buy it and then find out it wont work. Anyone have access to part numbers for the different years?

·
Super Moderator
11,539 Posts
Anyone know if the 2007 column will be compatible with my 06? I would hate to buy it and then find out it wont work. Anyone have access to part numbers for the different years?
According to this website it lists 07-09 so you may need to look at 05-06. At $400 a new one would be the best and safest choice.

Clint

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
There's a brief TSB NTB07-014a Steering Column Service Part covering this work. It may be helpful to you as far as parts are concerned. It shows 2005 - 2008 models as having the same two P/Ns -- some Frontiers do not have the wheel tilt feature, so be sure you bag the correct one if you go hunting in the scrap yard. Good luck in your work.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Yeah Courtesy Nissan is listing two different parts for 2006 and 2007. 488 Steering Column :: Steering :: Genuine Nissan Parts :: Frontier Parts (D40) 2005-2010 :: Nissan Parts, NISMO and Nissan Accessories - Courtesyparts.com What could possibly be different besides tilt and no tilt I do not know but it looks as if it will not work.

I had this same problem on my 06 so I guess the 05 and 06 columns are just crap and that's why they changed things up. I was lucky enough to have it happen under warranty.

·
Super Moderator
19,970 Posts
I think I have a dying steering column in my 2006 SE. The steering wheel has developed a bad wobble, I took the wheel off and it looks like a bearing in the column is the culprit. I am out of warranty so this is going to be a diy repair.

Does anyone have experience swapping steering columns? How hard of a job is it? Will I be able to swap over my existing ignition/key assembly at home or do I need special tools? Will a steering column from a later frontier work with my 2006? There is a rear ended 2007 at my local scrap yard where I could get a used column much cheaper then a new column. Is there any way to replace the faulty bearing in my existing column?

If anyone has any info here it would be greatly appreciated.
It looks like the ignition key cylinder bolts up to the column judging by this diagram.

998 Key Set & Blank Key :: Miscellaneous :: Genuine Nissan Parts :: Frontier Parts (D40) 2005-2010 :: Nissan Parts, NISMO and Nissan Accessories - Courtesyparts.com

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I bought the column out of the wrecked Frontier, I got a super deal on it so hopefully it works. If not someone on here will need it at some point and I will recoup my costs.

I will let you know what happens so in the future people will know if the steering columns are compatible.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here is a short follow up....

The 07 steering column worked fine in my 06. I put it in last night and so far so good. When I bought the column they gave me the steering wheel, and column covers with it. If anyone needs these parts send me an email, I dont need them.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Upper steering column

I just had the upper column replaced in the 06 Pathfinder. I hope I don't need to do one in the Frontier any time soon. The bearing was toast.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts