Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody experience the following when cruising at 65-70 mph I have to keep both hands on the wheel. The steering seems very busy with constant corrections needed. Yes have driven rack and pinion before but nothing quite like this. Is it the big tires in combination with rack and pinion or maybe the type of tire (BF Goodrich Long Trail T/A). Dealer checked alignment said within spec. Feels almost like to much toe-out.

2006 SE 4X2 V6 K.C. 700 miles new

·
Registered
242 Posts
mine was exactly like that for the first 2000 miles, almost a pain in the butt to drive, now it's pretty decent, almost 5000 miles on it now. One thing I did do is lower the tire pressure, the dealer had the tires aired up to 44 psi, I lowered them to about 38. that seems to help alot.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Yeah mine was and still is alittle,its getting better with mileage.I got about 2,500 miles on mine,i also lowered my air pressure to 32 on all 4

·
Registered
838 Posts
same problem as well! like they say ,try reducing your tire pressure. mine are set at 40psi and driving has improved considerable but not cured.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Owned a 1973 240Z which had similar problems at cruise and the fix was aftermarket mounting bushings for the rack which were much stiffer

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
I have a little over 5000 miles on my LE KC now and just finished an 1100 mile trip. I
keep my tires at the recommended 35 psi except in the winter when I bump it up a little to avoid the activating the tire monitoring system.

My truck did not exhibit the signs you are talking about. It has been very smooth and stable the entire time I have owned it.

OkieScot

·
Registered
226 Posts
since i've got mine, as long as there arent bad ruts in the road, i can leave my hands off the wheel for at least a mile on a straight stretch.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I haven't noticed anything too unusual about the steering of mine, but I have noticed the damn air pressure sensors seem to activate if I get below 35 PSI at all. really a pain in the butt

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
QwooZy said:
I haven't noticed anything too unusual about the steering of mine, but I have noticed the damn air pressure sensors seem to activate if I get below 35 PSI at all. really a pain in the butt

I'm running 32 PSI with no light.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have notice this too, I did some research looking at different reviews in the Car Mags. Many of the reviews do not mention it, but some do (can't seem to find them now though :cry: ), and describe to the Frontier's steering as being "Off Center".

I had not heard that the issue improves with milage, and lower tire air pressure. I'll have to try that.

That is what is great about these forums, sharing great informatioin. All-in-All, I think I have gotten used to the steering for the most part. I have almost 1900 miles on the truck now. And... there are just too many other things about it that I love. Over all the Driving experience is really smooth, very quite, and F A S T!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts