Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just installed this AUTO-VOX Cam1 HD backup camera on my 06 CC 6-speed, and it looks great! Video output is fantastic, and I love how stealthy it is on the rear license plate, not covering the state name like most other aftermarket cameras do.

There's a small green wire on the line that you can cut to enable guidelines (I have). The only downside is that it has to be powered by the reverse light (not the radio ACC signal), so you can't use it while driving, because if it had constant 12V to it, it would be shining the 6 LED lights at all times (even night time).

The picture is a bit noisy/grainy at night, but during the day, it's crystal clear. Also, the tailgate doesn't hit the camera, even when it's fully opened. Hitching up to a trailer is now 100% easy on the first try. I'm very pleased with it!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,129 Posts
nice install, and picture quality does look fantastic. ive always wanted a back up camera for hauling but i cant justify putting a double din in.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I can understand that. The first stereo I put in was a single DIN, and I was actually trying to upgrade to a better Kenwood with Bluetooth (Kenwood BT515HD), but it didn't work well at all, and I almost couldn't connect to bluetooth whatsoever, so I decided to get a Pioneer.

I'm really cheap, so I got a Pioneer AVH-X2800BS at Best Buy for $299, which I price matched to their online site for $235, which two days later I price matched to the (shipped and sold by) Amazon price of $202. I definitely won't ever be able to justify the price for an Android Auto head unit (about $700 starting), when a phone mount above my stereo works just great for everything the stereo doesn't do.

If you already have the stock double DIN stereo, you won't need new brackets, but if not, you'll also need:

Mounting Bracket - $11.50
Wire Harness - $4.65

I also got a Sirius XM antenna ($35), with the full intention of calling to cancel every six months, so I can get the $25 / 6 month deal. I also have a Polk PA330 ($70) powering the two front JBL GTO938 speakers ($55), with a Clarion EQS-746 between the stereo and amp.

So in total I spent about $400 for my setup including the camera, but I have to say that the double DIN head unit has got to be the coolest tech purchase I've made in the past 10 years. It has just added enormous functionality and simplicity where it was lacking before.

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I forgot to mention that the one I got has a rear view mirror w/LCD option too, if you don't want to deal with removing the plastic from your tailgate.

·
Registered
260 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just bought the same camera from Amazon and a new rear-view mirror with the monitor built in.. My questions is, is there a good place to run the wires for the camera without drilling a holes?

Thanks

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CRBDGEQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Yeah, there are two square holes just behind the license plate to start, and there is a soft spot that you can push through with just your finger under the passenger seat. It's the same place I ran the power wire for my amplifier.

I'm working on uploading a video of my install to YouTube, and I'll update this thread when it's live.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts