Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks for the welcome, I do most of the minor maintenance and fluid changes on the truck. I recently changed the plugs, but couldn't get to that sixth plug along the firewall. I hunt in the fall and am many miles away from a dealer or parts store. I keep a spare alternator and starter in the truck. I have not had to replace either yet at 80,000 miles. I was looking at the starter on the 2000 V-6 crew cab and was wondering how to remove it after loosening the two bolts.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I did this just a few months ago on my 2000 V6 crew cab automatic when I replaced the timing belt because I had to jam the flex plate while a friend torqued the crankshaft bolt. Start by disconnecting the battery and then disconnect the electrical connections on the solenoid. One of the wires has a connector I think by the engine mount so you have to pop open the connector. There are a few cable ties holding the wires together, one of them toward the front by the engine mount. Try to pop open the ties if you can since a couple of ties are special fit ties, others I just cut since I didn't have enough room to access the locking tab. After removing the bolts and opening/cutting the cable ties the starter has to be wiggled/jiggled out. It's a very tight fit and it looks like there's no way that it will ever come out without jacking up the motor but it does come out after a lot of tries. I think it came out starter gear end first and at an angle that was almost vertical. Took over an hour to get it out.

I also changed my plugs and as you mentioned the sixth plug is a real pain. I used a long 3/8 extension with a swivel joint to replace the plug. You can't see the plug. Everything is done by feel (pretty scary) and you have to kind of lie on top of the engine while doing the job. You can get a small mirror and at just the right angle you can just barely see the top of the plug. If you decide to do the job put the longest lasting plug you can buy in that cylinder. I used iridium plugs cause I don't ever want to do that plug again. Make sure you hand start the plug when installing the new plug. Some other members have done some pretty good write ups on replacing the sixth plug and I used their advice. Here's one of the links I used, I think I only used one extension instead of the two mentioned in the article. http://www.nissanoffroad.net/how_to/plugs/plug.asp As the article mentions, make sure that your spark plug socket has a tight grip on the plug because if it doesn't and the plug slips out of the socket there's no way you're ever going to get your hand back there to retrieve it. I think I also used electrician's tape on the socket to make sure the tools didn't come apart.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply and the advice on that sixth plug. Hopefully I won't be too far from a garage when that starter goes.That is definitely a tight looking fit. I'm probably looking at having the dealership replace the timing belt along with the water pump when I get to 100,000. I hate to pay the dealer but it appears to be a bigger job than I can handle. I bought this truck new in the fall of 1999 and have only had to replace the front brakes, tires, battery, filters, and fluids. I read one of the threads on the rubber ears failing on the carrier bearing and noticed one of mine one missing last year. I brought it to the dealer's attention along with the thread and they were great and replaced it free. I feel very lucky so far with this truck and with this forum I can at least look at some of the other problems out there and can anticipate what I'll be dealing with in the future. Thanks again for all your help.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts