Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, my starter is bad... again... this is the second time in 8 months

well at least im guessing its bad, its just clicks when the ignition is turned and if i hit it it starts

but WTF is causing this cuz im getting extremly pissed about this happening

could there be anything else causing it?

wheres the starter relay btw? my clutch interlock is fine and all the other fuses are ok

·
Registered
890 Posts
ive never looked at our starters, but is the solenoid attatched and was that also replaced when you changed your starter out?

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ive never looked at our starters, but is the solenoid attatched and was that also replaced when you changed your starter out?
the solenoid is attached so when you replace it, you replace that too

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Have you modified the exhaust; too close to the starter maybe (they don't like a lot of heat)?

Did you replace the starter with a new factory unit or a rebuilt aftermarket? Some of the rebuilt aftermarket starters aren't the best quality, but if you got it from a chain auto parts store there's a good chance it's warrented for as long as you own the vehicle.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have had problems with inexpensive starters and water pumps bought from local auto parts stores.
They usually carry a warranty, but what a pain to have to do the work over again.

My new policy I started several years ago is to buy mid priced, better quality parts from the internet.
So far it has worked, none have failed....

·
Registered
890 Posts
Have you modified the exhaust; too close to the starter maybe (they don't like a lot of heat)?

Did you replace the starter with a new factory unit or a rebuilt aftermarket? Some of the rebuilt aftermarket starters aren't the best quality, but if you got it from a chain auto parts store there's a good chance it's warrented for as long as you own the vehicle.
i thought i remembered him doing something, maybe it was just cat removal... maybe you should try header wrapping the pipes next to the starter

·
Premium Member
1,379 Posts
you could also have a bad/dead battery. it might still have enough juce to turn on all the electronics but not start the truck. heres what you do to check it. take a multimeter and measere the dc voltage from the + battery terminal to the - it should read around 12v dc. a clicking starter sounds like a low charged/bad battery. your alt. could have also gone out, causing the battery to lose charge, which would cause a no start situation....

just trying to help out before you go spend more cash on the same part.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
you could also have a bad/dead battery. it might still have enough juce to turn on all the electronics but not start the truck. heres what you do to check it. take a multimeter and measere the dc voltage from the + battery terminal to the - it should read around 12v dc. a clicking starter sounds like a low charged/bad battery. your alt. could have also gone out, causing the battery to lose charge, which would cause a no start situation....

just trying to help out before you go spend more cash on the same part.
thanks firebreed, i went n checked that last night as well as the alt, both are in great shape

the weird thing about this guys is that the starter failing is honestly hit or miss, it will work great and turn over mad quick then without warning just go click when i go to turn it on

went through all the hassle to take it out and went over to advanced cuz like jerryp said, it is a re-manufactured one and they passed it with flying colors so no dice on a new one... that kinda torqued me

the clicking tells me the ignition is working ok because when you turn the key, it actuates the soleniod... the clicking noise... but from there it doesnt go so either its the solenoid or the its not getting enough juice... i just replaced the positive wire off the batter down to the starter last time this happened too :(

i thought i remembered him doing something, maybe it was just cat removal... maybe you should try header wrapping the pipes next to the starter
yeah i ditched the secondarys and wrapped my passenger exhaust manifold to get rid of that damn ticking noise from a cracked one

but it doesnt get to hot down there, im still able to stick my hand in where the starter is which is pretty close to the primary cat through the area near the splash guard.. i know this because last time i had starter problems, if i just took off the power cable n re connect it, it might of worked

·
Registered
890 Posts
^+1 a lot of times these intermittent problems tend to be bad grounds, i know you got a lot of rust under there, check all our grounding points/cables

·
Registered
556 Posts
Pull your battery connections and make sure they are clean. Houdini just went through this, random starter problems. I pulled all his connections apart and cleaned them and put some dielectric grease on everything. Check the bolted connection that connects the positive battery harness to the clamp that connects to the post. Pull it apart and clean it too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts