1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
802 Posts
The ones from Ford Accessories (all 18> and some earlier back to 14 or something) are made by VOXX, a 20 minute install and very reliable. That box looks VERY similar to their system.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Following as I'm in the market as well. There are a few threads about Accessorides kit with that feedback, but it's at least $100 more on the price point: https://accessorides.com/products/remote-start-kit-for-nissan-frontier-2005-2018-plug-play-key-start
I did see that one a couple months ago but thought it was a little too much. That one also seems to require some wire splicing if you want the parking lights to come on. I would also prefer to use the factory remotes. I'm probably going to order the Smart-X system this weekend.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I did see that one a couple months ago but thought it was a little too much. That one also seems to require some wire splicing if you want the parking lights to come on. I would also prefer to use the factory remotes. I'm probably going to order the Smart-X system this weekend.
Keep us updated.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just ordered it, should be here next weekend. I'll keep you updated.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I’ll bite. It’s ordered but won’t be getting it till Christmas. FWIW, there was a dozen left this morning, now they’re sold out. New stock coming 11/12. Looking forward to your review madmax.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I’ll bite. It’s ordered but won’t be getting it till Christmas. FWIW, there was a dozen left this morning, now they’re sold out. New stock coming 11/12. Looking forward to your review madmax.
I've been watching the listing on Amazon for a week or so and noticed the inventory amounts to be all over the place. I just ordered yesterday (Friday) and the expected delivery from Amazon was the first week in November. I just got notification from USPS that it will be delivered this Monday. It looks like the product is coming from New Jersey, so you maybe getting it sooner than expected.

I plan to install next weekend. I'll provide an update once installed.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update:

I tried installing this remote start today but ran into issues with programming the module. I've been working with Start-X to try to resolve this but we have not had any luck yet. One thing I'm wondering is if this remote start was only made for V6 Frontier's. My Frontier is a 4-Cylinder, maybe a different BCM. It seems like this remote starter has worked for everyone else.

The installation of the kit itself was straight forward. The connectors on the BCM and steering column are a little tough to access but manageable. The connectors take some wiggling to get out but they will come out with patience.

I'll keep you updated on this.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just installed the Start-X on Equator V6. It works. The module is a Fortin EVO-ONE. This seller has put together a package with the module preflashed for Frontier, included T-harness, custom instructions, then rebranded it as Start-X. It's a good deal if all you want is remote start since buying the parts separately to flash it yourself is more expensive than this package. Cons: Didn't include wire or spade terminal for hood pin switch. Had to go to the store and not enough daylight to keep going.

Can someone comment on where they mounted their hood pin switch, or make a recommendation? Preferably with a picture.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just installed the Start-X on Equator V6. It works. The module is a Fortin EVO-ONE. This seller has put together a package with the module preflashed for Frontier, included T-harness, custom instructions, then rebranded it as Start-X. It's a good deal if all you want is remote start since buying the parts separately to flash it yourself is more expensive than this package. Cons: Didn't include wire or spade terminal for hood pin switch. Had to go to the store and not enough daylight to keep going.

Can someone comment on where they mounted their hood pin switch, or make a recommendation? Preferably with a picture.
I got the switch installed. I know front ends of Equators differ from Frontiers, but not sure to what extent. Maybe this pic will help someone. It's literally the only place that has clearance underneath and not in the rain channel.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I got the switch installed. I know front ends of Equators differ from Frontiers, but not sure to what extent. Maybe this pic will help someone. It's literally the only place that has clearance underneath and not in the rain channel. View attachment 310238
Nice, was it easy to feed the wire through the firewall? How does it connect to the module? I looked at the pictures in the instructions but it wasn't super clear.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Nice, was it easy to feed the wire through the firewall? How does it connect to the module? I looked at the pictures in the instructions but it wasn't super clear.
From the inside of the cabin, I poked a very small screwdriver through an existing grommet, electrical taped the wire to screwdriver, then pulled it through.

To connect it to the module, you insert an additional contact into the connector. The contact was in the box. The printed instructions in the box were clear on how to do this, I thought. You have to study the diagram for a few minutes. I can try to take a pic tomorrow but I'm not cutting zip ties to do it. It's in there forever...lol. Then butt connector your hood pin switch wire to it, although under-dash connections should be soldered.

Did you get yours working? The seller also assumes you have an automatic transmission since the yellow loop wire was cut.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
From the inside of the cabin, I poked a very small screwdriver through an existing grommet, electrical taped the wire to screwdriver, then pulled it through.

To connect it to the module, you insert an additional contact into the connector. The contact was in the box. The printed instructions in the box were clear on how to do this, I thought. You have to study the diagram for a few minutes. I can try to take a pic tomorrow but I'm not cutting zip ties to do it. It's in there forever...lol. Then butt connector your hood pin switch wire to it, although under-dash connections should be soldered.

View attachment 310239

Did you get yours working? The seller also assumes you have an automatic transmission since the yellow loop wire was cut.
Thanks for the picture on you got it through the firewall. Looking at the diagram again I think it's clear now.

Start-X thinks I have a defective T-Harness so they are sending out another one which I should receive sometime this week. We'll see when the new one comes in.

·
Registered
12 Posts
This is the best pic I could get. It's the brown wire diagonal to the orange wire. The one that i put the yellow zip tie on.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This is the best pic I could get. It's the brown wire diagonal to the orange wire. The one that i put the yellow zip tie on.
View attachment 310276
That picture makes it super clear. Really appreciate the pictures Kevin-K. Hopefully the new T-harness will solve my issue and I can get this working.

·
Registered
12 Posts
That picture makes it super clear. Really appreciate the pictures Kevin-K. Hopefully the new T-harness will solve my issue and I can get this working.
No problem. Look at all the connectors and make sure you didn't bend any of the pins. I installed remote starts/alarms back in the day and you want to be careful when plugging in these connectors. If it's not lined up well when you push, it will bend a pin or 2, thus not making contact. I slightly 360-degree-wiggle the connectors while slightly pushing until I feel that it's ready to push harder... if that makes sense. This was particularly true on the white BCM connector. Speaking of the white BCM connector, seems like it wasn't keyed, so it's possible that you could have inserted that one upside down. I had to really study the video with this connector because it would slide in either way and wanted to make sure before I pushed. Just throwing some things out there. I would think iDataLink (the maker of the T-Harness, I think) is a big enough company to run all of these through an automated QA checkout before shipping out.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts