Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've already had these cables break on me a couple times. Not a fan, miss the old style steel straps. NEVER broke one on my hardbody or my Datsun p/u. I use my tailgate a lot for standing and getting on/off the boat when I trailer. I'm 190 so I think I'm at the limit of the "dynamic" weight. . . and I am "dynamic" with my weight. lol

I know I could have a local shop make me a set, but I'd bet it'd be cheaper if someone is manufacturing these already.

So, anyone know who's making these for our truck (2013)?

Or better yet, something like this?

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Huh ?

I have a 2006 and I have never broke a tailgate strap? Yours is a 2013? Do you let it slam down from the closed position, whatever? A lot of us got the EZ down tailgate shock kit from Ebay, or Amazon it's really nice. Maybe that would help with your issue.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a 2006 and I have never broke a tailgate strap? Yours is a 2013? Do you let it slam down from the closed position, whatever? A lot of us got the EZ down tailgate shock kit from Ebay, or Amazon it's really nice. Maybe that would help with your issue.
I use my tail gate for so many things, Just climbing in an out a lot surfing, putting stuff inside etc. Yes, sometimes it does get dropped when openning. I also use the tailgate to climb up and down from the bow of my boat when launching and recovering. That puts strain on the wimpy *** cables. The EZ load only makes takes care of one issue, which is seldom, but happens (especially when it's snowing and I just got out of the water from surfing for 3hrs wearing 6mm wetsuit gloves). It doesn't take care of me standing and climbing up, or 2-3 people hanging on the tailgate having a beer or chilling at the beach/forest.

I've been lucky only one cable at a time has broken (and both I replace). If both went, I'd be buying a new tailgate.

I've also been known to put a couple dozen 2x4's in the back and/or plywood.

I bought my truck to use, the tailgate is a part of that. I've had three other Datsun/nissan trucks and the last one was a 1st gen. Until they switched to cables, I never had an issue with cables breaking. FFS the tailgate should bend in the middle before the straps break.

And no, I don't abuse my truck, just use it like a truck, otherwise, I would have bought a xterra.

huh?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Maybe you are too big for the truck?

I'm with you tho. I had a nice '87 chevy before it finally wore out and I picked up the Frontier. The tailgate straps on that were about 3/16" thick and looked like the pics you supplied. Nothing was going to break them.

I'm not sure what the cables spec out at but I worry if I stand on that tailgate for sure. I guess manufacturers save a dollar or so using the cables.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Maybe you are too big for the truck?

I'm with you tho. I had a nice '87 chevy before it finally wore out and I picked up the Frontier. The tailgate straps on that were about 3/16" thick and looked like the pics you supplied. Nothing was going to break them.

I'm not sure what the cables spec out at but I worry if I stand on that tailgate for sure. I guess manufacturers save a dollar or so using the cables.
Hey you calling me fat? haha.

The biggest issue I had with the 1st gen was corrosion in the cable where the cable is coated. It's just regular steel so it's going to rust if you live in a wet and/or salty environment (like Kauai or now here in BC).

The connections are cheap swaged fittings. AND, if you open and close your gate a lot, there's the flexing of the wire that also weakens it even more.

You are right. older style flat bar you can jump up and down without issues. It is a truck after all. right? :/

·
Registered
460 Posts
Ive got decent fab experince...it probably wouldnt take too much to make these.

Just some cutting, grinding, and drilling. The stainless will accumulate surface rust, so your best bet is still to paint or epoxy coat it.

I dont have time to take a crack at it now, but potentially in the future.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts