Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there,

I just purchased a 1998 Frontier XE, 2wd, 4cylinder, 5 speed (135,000 miles) a couple of months ago. The clutch was replaced exactly one year ago according to the previous owner with a receipt to back this up (Clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing, and pilot bearing).

I've started to develop a squealing sound, normally when the truck is cold that is sometimes there, sometimes not.
At first I assumed it was a belt or pulley but now I'm not so sure.

The squealing is present while accelerating, or revving the engine with or without the clutch engaged and varies with the rpm. The reason I'm leaning towards a clutch issue is the revs seem to go very high in 1st and 2nd gear and the squealing sound seems identical to a friends car who just had a bad throwout bearing replaced.

To add to this every once and a while the truck seems to have a power boost, i.e. it feels like you're hauling 800 lbs in the back and suddenly it drops out and it will accelerate like a mad truck through 1,2,3, and 4.

I'm a little puzzled and hoping I'm not running into some major money here. I should note that the clutch doesn't seem like it's slipping badly, holds well in 5th on the hills,doesn't over-rev other than 1st and 2nd. No clutch smell there is occassionally a little chatter engaging 1st. Gas mileage is fantastic.

Any ideas to throw my way??

·
Registered
337 Posts
The squealing sounds like a throw out bearing. I've had a problem like this in the past. You can usually buy the clutch kit from a store and it includes all the things you listed. People (Shop mechanic or backyard mechanic) don't always replace the throw out bearing when they buy this kit. Only to find out they should have. My brother is in the same exact situation as you. He bought a pathfinder, and it squeals. He knew it squealed when he bought it though. He's driven it for about a year on the bad throw out bearing, but it doesn't squeal really loud. I think he is or was gonna fix it soon though.

I'm not to sure but does the throw out bearing need to be greased when replaced?

When it comes to fixing something, I can do anything I want or need to... but diagnosing problems isn't one of my specialties, so don't go based solely off what I say. I'm sure others will have info for you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've actually removed the A/C belt and the other two belts seem in good shape and with good tension. I've noticed in the last couple days the squealing happens sparatically even when the truck is warm. It only happens when the rpm's are changing fast up or down.

Is the idler pulley on the alternator something that goes on these?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts