Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Seems like every time it rains and I go to drive the truck after or during, I have this absolutely embarrassing squealing coming from the motor. No clue what it is. It seems to change pitch and get louder/quieter with RPMS. it eventually goes away after between a 10-40 mile drive, sometimes I can drive it 45 miles to a fishing spot of mine and the sound will still be there.

Any ideas? Still have <60k on it so I have some time. Just seeing if anyone has experienced this noise.

thanks

·
Registered
929 Posts
No warranty. You may have picked up some oil or coolant contamination on the belt. Some times you can wash it off, but if it's been slipping for any length of time that belt is likely melted into a glaze. If you have any belt dressing you can give that a shot, but I've never had much luck with that stuff.

·
Registered
422 Posts
fan belt...… wow..... covered under warranty?

thanks
Had exactly the same problem on my 4.0 V6. It should be covered under warranty, but I figured it'd be a waste of time. It's a $20 belt that takes 10 minutes to replace. If I went to the dealer, they'd just replace it with the same make/model of belt and I'd be back to where I started. I put on a Continental Elite (formerly Goodyear Gatorback) belt and the problem stopped immediately.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
crap.... it isn't covered under warranty tho? thats ridiculous... do i have to try to do this myself? or I am stuck paying? that really sucks......
It's a fan belt. A wear item. It's not the end of the world even if you pay someone to fix it. Part of ownership when you can't or don't want to do your own repairs. If that's all that ever goes wrong, your way ahead of the game.
Good luck

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Had exactly the same problem on my 4.0 V6. It should be covered under warranty, but I figured it'd be a waste of time. It's a $20 belt that takes 10 minutes to replace. If I went to the dealer, they'd just replace it with the same make/model of belt and I'd be back to where I started. I put on a Continental Elite (formerly Goodyear Gatorback) belt and the problem stopped immediately.
do I need any specific tools? I can probably tackle it myself.

·
Registered
288 Posts
My advice is to buy an OEM belt only and not pinch those pennies going with aftermarket. Your squeal will be back in short order with a cheaper aftermarket belt. 2 minute job to swap belts if you get lucky and land it on all the pulleys quickly.

Reactions: MidnightBassin247

·
Registered
334 Posts
I had the same issue with mine at about 15k miles I think it was. Swapped it out with a continental belt, and have had no more noise after another 25k miles.

·
Registered
422 Posts
My advice is to buy an OEM belt only and not pinch those pennies going with aftermarket. Your squeal will be back in short order with a cheaper aftermarket belt. 2 minute job to swap belts if you get lucky and land it on all the pulleys quickly.
I disagree. The squeak will be back with an OEM belt. The OEM belt is the one that started squeaking, after all. I agree that I wouldn't go with a $6 parts-store belt. I use Goodyear Gatorback (now Continental Elite) belts on everything. Haven't had a problem. I learned about them from the shop that I worked at; it's the only belt that the owner would put on, and he's had no come-backs.

·
Premium Member
5,866 Posts
Improper belt tension could be the culprit.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I disagree. The squeak will be back with an OEM belt. The OEM belt is the one that started squeaking, after all. I agree that I wouldn't go with a $6 parts-store belt. I use Goodyear Gatorback (now Continental Elite) belts on everything. Haven't had a problem. I learned about them from the shop that I worked at; it's the only belt that the owner would put on, and he's had no come-backs.
Would you happen to know the specific model number for that belt? Guess I could google it too but best if one of you guys actually bought and installed it.

·
Registered
197 Posts
My 2015 developed a similar issue back a while ago, don't know the exact mileage, but I'm at 100k, now.

I haven't done anything about it. After it rains, I'll usually have some squeak the next morning. A few revs and the squeak gets quieter, a mile of so down the road, the squeak is gone.

Out of curiosity, how long is our serpentine belt supposed to last?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts