Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there all! So I just purchased my first Frontier about 6 months ago, a 2004, 2.4L 5 spd manual - back in January, the alternator began giving me trouble for a few weeks before finally giving out entirely. I would have replaced it myself, but I've only gotten to know my way around the Ranger's I drove for so long, and am completely unfamiliar with Frontier layouts - that, and I'm not a great mechanic to begin with.

Anyway, long story short, the replacement alternator that was put in by the shop ended up being faulty, so they replaced it again under warranty. Ever since then however, about 90-95% of the time I start the truck when it is cold, there is a terribly loud squealing noise from under the hood for between 3-5 seconds. At that point, it stops and is not heard again for however long I drive it. It is also much less prone to display the issue if the engine is warm on startup, sometimes with no noise at all. I looked around these forums and others, and the general consensus seemed to be the alternator belt being too loose. It already seemed tight enough to me, but I went ahead and tightened it just about as far as it could go - to no avail. Seems to have not helped the issue at all.

I've read a few other comments about the harmonic balancer perhaps being the issue - but is that really the next most likely culprit at this point? Once again, being unfamiliar with this truck, I don't know exactly what the mechanic shop would have had to disassemble/remove to replace the alternator, but it seems unlikely that since this issue never happened once before I took it in there, that it wouldn't have something to do with what they did to it. Can anyone perhaps point me in the right direction of what to attempt next? I would really appreciate it, thank you for your time!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Did they replace the alt belt?

If not, I vote for a new one.

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
These do tend to squeal at start up more than other vehicles. Use Nissan, Gates, or Gatorback belts. Any of the 3 belts on mine can squeal at start up.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I can also testify this is a common nuisance from the 2.4 liter (not sure about the 6 bangers). I get this symptom about every six months. 85% of the time, the A/C belt is the culprit.

It just started this back up a couple weeks ago as a matter of fact. I'll probably get under there in the next couple days to tighten up whatever...

·
Registered
195 Posts
I can also testify this is a common nuisance from the 2.4 liter (not sure about the 6 bangers). I get this symptom about every six months. 85% of the time, the A/C belt is the culprit.

It just started this back up a couple weeks ago as a matter of fact. I'll probably get under there in the next couple days to tighten up whatever...
mine makes the same sound on startup when it is cold but also when i turn the wheel til it stops its even worse not sure what is causing that, the belt is only a couple of years old

1 - 5 of 5 Posts