Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting brake squeal everytime I lightly depress the brake pedal. Anyone else having the same issue? If so, what was the remedy?

8,000 miles, the problem started at 5,000 and has been getting worse.

·
Registered
187 Posts
My brakes started sqeaking at about 2000 miles , usually when I was backing out of my driveway or after the truck had been parked for a few hours. They didn`t sqeak making normal stops in traffic. The dealer replaced my brake pads last month and everything has been fine so far

·
Registered
361 Posts
Might be a rock or pebble stuck in the pad.

Check for scratches on the rotor. Major giveaway that something is stuck in the pad.

·
MOD & Token MINI Owner
2,296 Posts
I actually hear minne squeaking in heavy traffic when there is a lot of stop and go. I've heard that this is beginning to be a common problem with the 05-06 models. I'm not sure if they have released a TSB or not??

·
Registered
118 Posts
IceCreamMan said:
My brakes started sqeaking at about 2000 miles , usually when I was backing out of my driveway or after the truck had been parked for a few hours. They didn`t sqeak making normal stops in traffic. The dealer replaced my brake pads last month and everything has been fine so far
Did they replace them under warranty? My situation is EXACTLY the same... 2000 miles only when pulling out after sitting at least a couple hours...

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I think the main reason for squeeling brakes is inproper break in. With new pads/fresh rotors you need to run the vehicle up to 50 mph and bring it down to 0, with steady pressure on the brake petal. Do this 5 times, let the brakes cool, and repeat. Then you're good to go.
Oh, yeah, don't ride the brake in traffic. I use the method above for everyday use, just watch your mirror. Gotta keep training the guy behind you. :)

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
I agree with TwoBills. I don't thing there is a defect with the truck. Also if you brake hard and fast alot your brake will start to squeel.

·
Registered
118 Posts
TwoBills said:
I think the main reason for squeeling brakes is inproper break in. With new pads/fresh rotors you need to run the vehicle up to 50 mph and bring it down to 0, with steady pressure on the brake petal. Do this 5 times, let the brakes cool, and repeat. Then you're good to go.
Oh, yeah, don't ride the brake in traffic. I use the method above for everyday use, just watch your mirror. Gotta keep training the guy behind you. :)
Interesting... do you think trying this now would help my squeaky brakes or am I just screwed? I'm at 3000 miles now and it's still squeaking as loud if not louder than at 2000. It's only when braking lightly at slow speeds.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Not to be a smart arse, but don't brake lightly at slow speeds. Just use those brakes to bring the truck down from speed (any speed). Steady pressure, and bring it down relitively fast. That's what I meant about watching the guy behind you. Gotta train him. :)
Fooling around w/your brakes at slow speed is what causes them to glaze (and squeal). In traffic, at slower speeds, drop down a gear so you can stay off the brakes. When at a stop, keep your foot on the petal. This helps transfer pad heat into the rotors, so they can cool faster.

·
Registered
118 Posts
TwoBills said:
Not to be a smart arse, but don't brake lightly at slow speeds. Just use those brakes to bring the truck down from speed (any speed). Steady pressure, and bring it down relitively fast. That's what I meant about watching the guy behind you. Gotta train him. :)
Fooling around w/your brakes at slow speed is what causes them to glaze (and squeal). In traffic, at slower speeds, drop down a gear so you can stay off the brakes. When at a stop, keep your foot on the petal. This helps transfer pad heat into the rotors, so they can cool faster.
That's a really silly statement IMHO that's like saying don't use the gas pedal unless you need to get up to 60. Maybe it's not the best thing for the brake pads but you can't ALWAYS be steady on the brakes. It's not fooling around, it's slowing down. Doing what they were meant for. Unless you are just talking about the breakin period... The squeak is a defect if that's the way the brakes react, my Ranger didn't do this. No other vehicle I've drivin does did this. For example I've got a speedbump coming out of my apartment complex and I hear the squeak every time I brake for it. But let me guess your response, I should just gas it instead of braking so the truck hops right over the bump right? Like you said I guess you want to drop down a gear and let the engine slow it down... I'll just have softly depress the brakes to force the auto to downshift :lol:

·
Registered
170 Posts
stop, keep your foot on the petal. This helps transfer pad heat into the rotors, so they can cool faster.
I'd avoid doing this!. If the pads are hot (say you've had a long downhill descent, or repeated use and several hard stops in traffic1) they may well weld to the disc,

OR

2) the local heat transfer can cause localised over heating of the discs - which will lead to uneven transfer of pad resin to the disc- causing what feels like warping of the rotors. which means discs getting skimmed (or more likely needing to get out the wet and dry and rub down the disc!) Actual warping of discs is a rare occurence, and only usually occurs on discs that are made of very soft material, or are poorly cast. The discs on the rally car for example are tiny (230mm ) non vented discs, I use DS3000 pads (very high temp competition pads) - I have had them hot enough that the DOT 4 fluid has boiled in the caliper and the discs are now 'blued' because they have been to very high temp., but no warping in over 600 miles of flat out driving with big very hot- cold heat cycles.

We see local overheating and welding of pads to discs on rally cars from inexperienced comeptitors due to holding the car on the footbrake at the end of stges . At the end of stages we get off the brakes at the stop point and hold the car on the handbrake. if the stop is extended I move the car gently back and forwards in 1st and reverse, or get out and roll it by hand... and then stay off the brakes as much as possible til the next stage to allow them to cool by distributing heat evenly to the disc as it rotates past.

glazing is generally caused by incorrect bedding in. I always bed my pads in hard- on both road and rally cars. 10 -20 almost stops( down to less than 5 mph but not competely stationary) from 40 -60 mph, getting progressively harder on the brakes with cool down in between. by last 10 runs the pads should be really really hot and probably smelling quite nasty, and even perhaps smoking!...

if you're pads are getting hot in normal driving to the point wehere you experience fade, you need to 1) revise your driving habits- and learn to drive smoother

or

2) if you do a lot of high speed, or lots of steep downhill driving and experience fade, or very smelly of smoking pads, throw the pads in the bin and get some decent aftermarket pads.

squealing is usually due to either worn pads obviously, sticky caliper slides, high points on padsor discs, something caught between pads and disc. or in the case of something like DS3000's - pads that are too cold and grab on the disc.

Cheers

Rowdy

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
I too have the same issue. It's a manufacturing defect, or design flaw. Dealership said they've seen many complaints from 2k5+ owners. No cure yet, as replacing ever thing associated with the rear brakes yields the same result.... Squeak!!! :(

I expect we will see a TSB relating to this issue pretty soon (hopefully), as it's irritating quite a few folks. I hate being looked at by other drivers as I squeak my way to a stop light. :x

If any of you have had luck getting this fixed, please respond.

Cheers, (SQUEAK)

VG

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Jeez, bluegrass, didn't mean to get you all bunched up. If you're braking for a speed bump in your own parking lot, well, what can I say. My brakes don't squeal.

Rowdy had some good points, but that pertained to rally cars. I was talking about street rides. If my brakes ever got so hot that I could smell them, I'm for sure going to take his sound advice. But when I made the statement about keeping your foot on the petal at stop lights, I was refering to warm pads that've had 4 or 5 good stompings in the last 20 min.

This might be a factory problem, but when I hear squealing brakes I just figure they've been glazed right out of the box. Frontiers have always had a front brake problem. You've got to do a brake job strictly by the book or you're going to get a squeek, opposed to a squeal. First time I did them I had to redo 3 times and use factory pads. A real pain.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Sorry I don't get bunched up that easily it's just that I drove a Ranger for 7 years and the brakes did not make a noise one time. Ever. And guess what kind of noise the brakes made in the one Pathfinder I test drove before buying my Fronty?

·
Registered
256 Posts
I'm having the same problem (light squeek) and I'm at 8,900 miles. I know brakes are wear and tear items but I've only owned the truck since September. Will the dealer be willing to replace the pads/check the rotors?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Same problem on my 06 CC started at 5k, my brother's 05 Xterra at 6500... haven't gotten to dealership yet to see what they'll do... slightly distracted by the CRV sized dent in the passenger side (94 year olds should not be allowed to drive!!). I WILL be getting this (the brakes... and the dent) fixed ASAP, its a real annoyance!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Same prob here.....on my second set of pads here and they are doing it again. I do know that there is a TSB that calls for replacing the shims as well, which on Nissans are sold seperatly. The next time I go to dealer Im going to get them to do it. I have actually talked to a Nissan field technical rep about this last summer when he was at my dealer inspecting a car, he said its more of a problem in the Pathfinder than the Frontier, but knew they had it as well, but it was nothing like the Titan/Armada break issues they had, mostly just a compound issue, so he thought.

·
Registered
17,538 Posts
i usually drive with my stereo at a loud level, but today i was talking on the phone, hung up, and for a few mins was enjoying the music of my awesome VQ40 till i pulled up to a light and heared a groan. at first i thought, "that can't be my truck, it's only got 12k miles"... then i pulled up to another one and heard it again (same traffic around me) i thought it was this old POS next to me. then later i was driving by myself (basically) and i heard it again and i thought, oh no, something else for the dealer to do a TSB for. that makes 3 on my next visit. the seat rattle, the brakes and the rattle behind the dash at low rpm

1 - 20 of 25 Posts