Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had dual exhaust for awhile now, but because of limited space I had both pipes exiting straight out on the passenger side. The biggest space issue is I have a 2nd pair of mufflers (4" x 12") running on the side of the spare tire. Thats was the biggest space issue. Well I kinda cheated a little to give me some extra room. I got a slightly shorter spare tire(28.5") to give me a extra inch on the side and by the axle. So I cut my old tailpipe off today, put in a couple mandrel bent 90's and reinstalled my tailpipe on the drivers side this time. It looks SOOOO much better now.
As I side note I got to play with a GTO on the way home today. We were on a 60mph highway with a few traffic lights. We kept in under the speed limit, basically a few 0-40, 20-60 runs to keep it safe. I would blip in front of him one time & he would jump in front the next time. I think he had an auto, which is why we pulled different at different speeds. I was suprised and pleased that we were actually pretty even. Dont know if he had the 5.7l or 6.0l. Probably the 5.7l since I was able to keep up with him. Anyway between finally having a split duals and an even run with a GTO I had a pretty good day today :).

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Looks pretty good to me, how does it sound?

·
Registered
409 Posts
thats awesome man... i would have loved to see the guys face..lol

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't do any sound clips today after I split my tailpipes. From outside it sound basically the same as before. It does sound a little different inside though, especially since I drive with my windows down often. Sounds more balanced since I can hear it easier out my drivers window now too. I did do a little 0-80 run last week that shows what the exhaust & intake sound like under full throttle.

·
Registered
409 Posts
man it sounds really good!!! best v6 exhaust ive heard yet.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
man it sounds really good!!! best v6 exhaust ive heard yet.
Thanks. I wish it had a deeper sound, but getting that V8 sound out of a DOHC V6 just can't happen.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited by Moderator)
could you post a few pics of how you got the exhaust ran? I'd love to have a nice true dual setup
Here are some photos. Please note I self taught myself how to weld on my truck so some of the welds are a little ugly. Plus I used all mandrel bends, so it takes a little of sections of pipe to make all the bends necessary, hence why there are so many welds. But I have a VERY good flowing exhaust and the best compromise I could find for ultimate performance and keeping it sorta legal.

·
Banned
6,781 Posts
Thanks for the pics boss. Your set-up is coming along very nicely. Those headers are a thing of pure beauty.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey 06footy, I actually laughed out loud when I saw your avatar. And yeah I am totally finished with my exhaust now. It took a lot of steps to where I am now. First step I did was a simple dual in/out flowmaster catback system. Nest step was the OBX headers. Then Shiner helped me put my 2 highflow cats on. Was way too loud, so on went 2 hooker header resonator tips. Next I added a simple H-pipe. After that, I swapped out the flowmaster for dual magnaflows and a X-pipe. Too loud again. So added 2 little glasspacks to my tailpipes. Got tired of looking a 2 pipes on one side, so cut off a tailpipe and put it on the other side. NOW my exhaust is finished. Thats alot of exhaust work for a 18 month old truck. So please would somebody shoot me if I come on here again wanting to change something on my exhaust :). But I'm very happy with it now, so I shouldn't have to dodge any bullets in the near future.

·
Banned
6,781 Posts
Hey 06footy, I actually laughed out loud when I saw your avatar. And yeah I am totally finished with my exhaust now. It took a lot of steps to where I am now. First step I did was a simple dual in/out flowmaster catback system. Nest step was the OBX headers. Then Shiner helped me put my 2 highflow cats on. Was way too loud, so on went 2 hooker header resonator tips. Next I added a simple H-pipe. After that, I swapped out the flowmaster for dual magnaflows and a X-pipe. Too loud again. So added 2 little glasspacks to my tailpipes. Got tired of looking a 2 pipes on one side, so cut off a tailpipe and put it on the other side. NOW my exhaust is finished. Thats alot of exhaust work for a 18 month old truck. So please would somebody shoot me if I come on here again wanting to change something on my exhaust :). But I'm very happy with it now, so I shouldn't have to dodge any bullets in the near future.
I thought the kitty would be humerous. You know the fact he has a huge lime on his head as protection.

I know you must be sitting pretty now that you finished your exhaust. Do you happen to have any issues with uptravel with the exhaust. Like the axle tubes hitting or clinching the exhuast bends ???

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I thought the kitty would be humerous. You know the fact he has a huge lime on his head as protection.

I know you must be sitting pretty now that you finished your exhaust. Do you happen to have any issues with uptravel with the exhaust. Like the axle tubes hitting or clinching the exhuast bends ???
Yeah thats a cool photo. No rattles or anything. And as far as travel, no problem there since my axles will hit my bump stops before the pipes contact anything. My pipes are pretty close to the spare tire, maybe 3/4" or so at one point, but I'm not worried about the heat back at the tailpipes since my exhaust flows so good they dont get that hot. I did have to ziptie a couple things(brake line & electrical wires) safely out of the way.

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
thats sounds good Rodney, and Nice hazin the tires even a little into 3rd!!!!
now that youve finished the exhaust, you should start the STS turbo project for the first Frontier to break into the 12's

·
Banned
6,781 Posts
now that youve finished the exhaust, you should start the STS turbo project for the first Frontier to break into the 12's
Oh rite!!!!

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
i actually laughed out loud when I read that he actually thinks he's almost even with a GTO. lol....

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
i actually laughed out loud when I read that he actually thinks he's almost even with a GTO. lol....
Keep laughing if you want. I was very even with that GTO. I am sure he would eventually pull from me once the speeds climbed, but he would be doing it slowly. According to Road & Track and Motertrend a 5.7l GTO runs 13.6-13.8 in the 1/4 and 5.3sec 0-60's. and thats with a 6-spd. An auto should be a tenth or two slower which I'm pretty sure he had. So my 14.3 1/4 and 5.6sec 0-60 isn't THAT far off a stock automatic 5.7L GTO. AND those times I posted were with me spinning most of first gear costing me a couple tenths. We have to fight light rearends and crappy limited slip diffs. which GTO's dont. And fortunately we did most of the playing from a roll. I'm pretty certain I will be down to the 14.0 mark and maybe a 5.3 or 5.4 0-60 once I can get some stickier tires that will actually hook up. And I do intend to back that statement up come fall or winter time too.
So Sangster I cant help it if your truck is slow, but my Frontier(and many others) are not.

For now Bill, I will be staying NA. Maybe a couple years down the road I'll think about FI. I would really like to be the first bolt-on only Frontier to break into the 13's. I'll be giving it a couple more shots later this year. If I cant do it with my current setup, then I'll starting saving up for some cams down the road. They would put me there for sure :). I'll leave it to you and xterrahines to break into the 12's with your FI.

·
Banned
6,781 Posts
You know no matter what people say you can attain what ever you put your mind to. The sky is the limit they say. Im very confident in your truck because you have spent less on mods and have brought out a quicker riding street truck then people who go off. Just spending money on items that dont work as well in the end. You know even if that GTO was to beat you. That owner didnt put as much time into his ride as you have and doesnt have the knowledge to back up the paper he is rolling with.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You know no matter what people say you can attain what ever you put your mind to. The sky is the limit they say. Im very confident in your truck because you have spent less on mods and have brought out a quicker riding street truck then people who go off. Just spending money on items that dont work as well in the end. You know even if that GTO was to beat you. That owner didnt put as much time into his ride as you have and doesnt have the knowledge to back up the paper he is rolling with.
Thanks. And very true. And the GTO sounded stock. I'm sure with mods equal to what I have, he might be a 12 sec car. I know GTO's run great stock and can kick-as$ when modded. That is why I was happy to just "hang" with him.

·
Registered
262 Posts
you set up is sweet, looks great for sure. You wouldn't want to run into me and my GTO :) tho. there nothing like adding something new to the ride and getting to play to boot.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts