Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody tried spintech mufflers? From their website you can pretty much custom-make Muffler to the specs that you need I'm just wondering if anybody has tried these Mufflers I'm looking for something that's free flowing yet not to loud. Also would like them in 304 stainless steel

·
Premium Member
6,063 Posts
I called them direct a couple years ago. I got the impression their offerings would not meet my criteria of quiet power w/ no drone/rice. Their designs are quite intriguing.
YMMV

·
Premium Member
5,870 Posts
Their home page slogan is:

"If it sounds too good to be true... it's SPINTECH!"

... not sure they used that phrase the right way, I understand what they were trying to say but it doesn't sound right to me, considering anything "too good to be true" actually sucks, heh.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had their cat back on my new in 06 GTO. They droned at idle! Very loud but the sound was terrific, like nothing else I heard.
Probably why I now wear hearing aids.

·
Premium Member
5,870 Posts
I had their cat back on my new in 06 GTO. They droned at idle! Very loud but the sound was terrific, like nothing else I heard.
Probably why I now wear hearing aids.
what?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I called them direct a couple years ago. I got the impression their offerings would not meet my criteria of quiet power w/ no drone/rice. Their designs are quite intriguing.
YMMV
My criteria is the same as yours, this could be a challenging task, I'm going to be running true duals, and the main Mufflers are going to be where the spare tire normally is, I could easily Fit 2 - 20 inch long Mufflers back there. I think Greg from PRG loves these mufflers, he swears they get more power out of them.

·
Premium Member
6,063 Posts
Your Stillen will move a lot more air making true duals a desirable way to go.

As a DD/worktruck, I'll retain my spare...but that 'space' would sure open things up, option-wise.

Goal of no Y-pipe:
Am nearly certain that a straight-thru muffler won't deliver the suppressed sound(s) I'm after...thus leaving very few choices in the 2-in/1-out realm. Even fewer muffler choices in stainless steel out there.

Heard of these guys? Stainless Works Performance Exhaust, Headers and Fabrication Worth a look.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Your Stillen will move a lot more air making true duals a desirable way to go.

As a DD/worktruck, I'll retain my spare...but that 'space' would sure open things up, option-wise.

Goal of no Y-pipe:
Am nearly certain that a straight-thru muffler won't deliver the suppressed sound(s) I'm after...thus leaving very few choices in the 2-in/1-out realm. Even fewer muffler choices in stainless steel out there.

Heard of these guys? Stainless Works Performance Exhaust, Headers and Fabrication Worth a look.
::wink::
I would tend to agree that straight through don't knock the sound down as much as the 2-1 design mufflers.
I was driving down the highway yesterday and noticed that most of the exhaust sound is coming from the rear of the vehicle, even though our main muffler is right under the cab or at least the rear of the cab. So by moving the Main Muffler or Mufflers into the area where the spare tire is, and directing the tail pipes towards the ground, I figure this might Aid in a quieter system, any thoughts?
I have heard of stainless works but I will check them out again, thanks

·
Premium Member
6,063 Posts
Back in the day and prior to true duals, I had a single Cherry Bomb glass pack on a '69 Mustang/302 with an immediate downturn just before the rear axle. It constantly droned something terrible. I happened to drive over a large drainage grate in a parking lot and suddenly there was no drone at all due to the sound not bouncing off the pavement. Bingo, so removed the downturn and thusly removed the drone.
Others here at CF have had different experiences/outcomes than my scenario, so YMMV.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The dreaded drone is a very common topic here on CF. My idea of placing the mufflers to the rear, is an experiment, trying to move the sound further away from the cab. Question is: is the Drone coming from the pipes, muffler, or out the tailpipe

·
Premium Member
6,063 Posts
When looking closely at the pre-Y~pipe OEM setup, I must take pause as to why it appears so patched up. Best guess is to control resonance. It is crazy looking...to the point that I brought my truck back to the dealer wondering what in the hell was going on under there. lol

Gibson's webpage has a fair number of viable stainless steel muffler choices...or at least they used to prior to their latest webpage reorganization w/in the last 12-16 months.

I'm most inclined toward a custom system utilizing a chambered turbo muffler for sound control, though there are only a handful of 2-in/1-out choices...and even fewer in stainless steel. Not ruling out aluminized steel as 4-5 years of service would then allow for trying something else on down the road.

Piping size is another hurdle to cope with. Am thinking 2.25" cat-to-muffler is the better way to go for low-end torque, though a local hi-po muffler shop only offers customized mandrel bending in 2.5" or 3".

This is my first V6 experience. Wanting to get it right when the trigger gets pulled. Not in a hurry. Currently sitting at ~28k on the odo. This will be a Winter endeavor either in '17-'18 or '18-19.

Since you're going 'true dual' setup, am thinking using 2 individual mufflers would result in better sound control. H-pipe? X-pipe?

·
Premium Member
5,870 Posts
::wink::
I would tend to agree that straight through don't knock the sound down as much as the 2-1 design mufflers.
I was driving down the highway yesterday and noticed that most of the exhaust sound is coming from the rear of the vehicle, even though our main muffler is right under the cab or at least the rear of the cab. So by moving the Main Muffler or Mufflers into the area where the spare tire is, and directing the tail pipes towards the ground, I figure this might Aid in a quieter system, any thoughts?
I have heard of stainless works but I will check them out again, thanks
You're just bouncing the sound off the ground back to the truck

·
Premium Member
6,063 Posts
You're just bouncing the sound off the ground back to the truck
...and some here have claimed this removed their drone. Makes no sense to me, except that perhaps the reverberations might hit the bed more than the cab? IDK

·
Premium Member
5,870 Posts
...and some here have claimed this removed their drone. Makes no sense to me, except that perhaps the reverberations might hit the bed more than the cab? IDK
Yeah honestly IDK too many factors (muffler type, muffler location, pipe thickness, tip size, tip angle, location of exit, what surface you're actually driving on, if you have floormats, blah blah blah) so it's probably case-by-case.

What I do know is... if it sounds too good to be true IT'S SPINTECH ::laugh::

Okay seriously though... to the OP: guess you have to take one for the team to see what the results are.

·
Premium Member
6,063 Posts
Okay seriously though... to the OP: guess you have to take one for the team to see what the results are.
I second this motion.

IIRC, Spintech can add metal filament packing to their mufflers...and if one can go up to 20" long X 2 mufflers, you just might arrive at what you're after??! Hey hey!

:)

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wild looking exhaust

20170504_113438.jpg 20170506_110852.jpg
This is my current set up, starting at the engine, Doug Thorley long tubes, 2- vibrant high flow cats, 2-4" round magnaflows, into a 22" dual in and dual out main muffler, into 2 vibrant ultra quiet resonators, 2 Branch resonators, and finally a 3 inch ultra quiet resonator. At idle and cruising on the highway about 70 it's virtually the same as a stock sound.
There's a lot of weight in this exhaust system, and probably too many mufflers:surprise: my goal is to cut the weight, by eliminating to 4 inch round magnaflows and the Main Muffler, by moving the muffler to the back side where the spare tire is, I'm hoping this will move to sound away from the cab.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I second this motion.

IIRC, Spintech can add metal filament packing to their mufflers...and if one can go up to 20" long X 2 mufflers, you just might arrive at what you're after??! Hey hey!

:)
Idid not know Spintech could pack their mufflers,(hopfully SS mesh, like Stainless works mufflers are) and I could easily go 2 x 20" in this spare tire area. Hmmm, I think were getting somewhere... Yeah i'll take one for the team :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
6,063 Posts
Beyond extravagant is an understatement.

Does UpRev get rid of any emissions issues, or do your Vibrant hi-flow cats get it done?

·
Premium Member
6,063 Posts
Idid not know Spintech could pack their mufflers,(hopfully SS mesh, like Stainless works mufflers are) and I could easily go 2 x 20" in this spare tire area.
Hope I'm right about that...:surprise:

Edit: I see Spintech's 3000XLP talks about high density SS wool being added.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts