Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed my rear end fluid a few months ago, but there was alot of shavings in there. Big ones too like about the size of a nickle but different shape. Was wondering if anyone else had this problem. I have 58k miles and the extended warrenty. Id take it in but i have a small lift and 285s and im sure they going say somthing... So What should i do call and ask them or run it til it pops?

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
Yup, just buy a tube of RTV and some new diff fluid and open it up. See how the gears look and go from there.

The small lift and 285s shouldn't be too big of an issue but if you have the stock tires, it may make it a little easier when you bring it in.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Umm i did pull the cover off after i drained and found all the shavings... The ring and pinion are fine. Only reasion i ask is the same dealer gave my brother in law hell on his titan when the rear poped. His was stock and 22k miles aswell. Its the small gears in the middle pretty sure there the spyders...

·
Registered
226 Posts
what causes this damage? A guy i know that has an FJ had this happen to his rear diff (teeth broken off), he was livid as the dealer would not cover it under warranty. He said other guys he wheels with has had this happen to their FJs and the dealer wouldn't cover it under warranty. but again these guys are going up steep inclines, etc... and off roading...

·
Registered
253 Posts
Titans were known for rear end problems. Mine went at 45k and they replaced the whole rear end. On the Titan the rear end is not strong enough for the Torque the truck makes. Mine had the off road & big tow ,Nissan said the locker shafts were way to small for the torque of the truck. Mine broke will I was towing 6k LBS and was in West Virginia,Nissan gave me a car to drive for a week, paid for A U-haul so I could pull my load to my customer and then picked up car for a week. They paid for 2 days of my lost wages and my hotel.

I can't complain about my truck breaking when they did all the above, Yes I was not happy but Nissan stood behind the truck and the problems it caused me.

As far as you lift they can't say any thing unless they can prove it was caused by your mods under Magnason-Moss Warranty Act of 1975.

Go over to the Titan forum there is a regestry of Titan owners with rear end problems we thought a Nissan would do a recall but they are handling them on as they break approach.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts