Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 09 Equator 4 cyl premium 2wd with automatic. The wheels and tires are factory.

My speedometer is reading low, when it indicates 70 MPH the GPS indicates 74. The trip odo in the truck is also low, when it says 300 mi the GPS indicates 318.

Is anyone else having this issue and is there a fix for it? This truck is still under the 3/36000 warranty.

·
Registered
8,527 Posts
Welcome to the club.

You may find that the Search function works on occasion and this is one of those occasions.

Atleast it is running slow compared to fast.

·
Registered
602 Posts
my speedometer on my 07 is lower at certain speeds and right about the same with my gps at other speeds. most mine is off was about 3 and that was in the the 55 60 range.
so pretty much i got the same scenarioas you
i just push it a little bit harder and use my gps for reference

·
Registered
110 Posts
Now you have me concerned. All I need is a speeding ticket. I have had 4 accidents in my life...one in 1977 and three in 2009. The insurance company no longer likes me.:eek:ops1:

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
most speedometers are inaccurate up to +/- 5 mph, this is one reason that police officers (in most areas i've seen) can't ticket someone for doing less than 7 miles over the speedlimit. the amount that the speedo is off will change with speed as well as stated at curtain rpm ranges it may be 5 slow at higher speeds it may be dead on or even fast. last time i used my gps while driving around town (30-40mph) it it hovered around 2-4 mph off. if your that worried about getting a ticket then just drive the speed limit like your supposed to and you wont have a problem even if your speed says your going 5mph slower than you really are. as far as op and his odometer so for every 3000 miles on your odometer you actually went 3180, not a big deal really, its not like your going to have a problem with going "over" on oil changes a couple hundred miles. once you get to 100k on the odometer it will actually be 106k heh. its really nothing to worry about. i wouldn't loose sleep over it

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What concerns me is that the speedometer in my Equator reads lower than the actual speed. If it read higher than actual speed it would be no big deal. Ill probably have a conversation with my Suzuki service manager about it since it would be warranty and I can find nothing on the forums about a Frontier or Equator owner taking their truck in for this problem.

·
Registered
8,527 Posts
There has been talk but the concensus is that they can do nothing. As long as it is within spec (probably +- 5%), there is nothing they can do.

It is believe that the speedo is based off of a 265/75r16 tire and not the 70series on the SEs so this is why we register more miles then actually traveled.

Side Note: There was also talk of this happening on Honda's and the result was that they added a coupe thousand miles to the warranty limits.

Also, Hypertech makes a speedo re-calibrator that works but it is quite expensive. See if your dealer will pay for it, lol.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts