Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which would yield the best results if you only changed one or the other?

I imagine speakers...

I have a king cab SE V6...the base 4-speaker system. :)

·
Registered
17,538 Posts
stereo first, the stock head unit does not have the sound quality or output to even push the stock speakers well. i changed out the stereo (which i thought sounded fine) and was amazed at the difference. after that look for a good set of 6x9's for the front and 6.5's for the back (or two sets of 6.5's depending on preference, either will work) later. if you can chip it out, finding a good double DIN unit will look better and look "more factory" than a single DIN with a pocket. i've got a pioneer double DIN dvd/nav system and i love it.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
stereo first, the stock head unit does not have the sound quality or output to even push the stock speakers well. i changed out the stereo (which i thought sounded fine) and was amazed at the difference. after that look for a good set of 6x9's for the front and 6.5's for the back (or two sets of 6.5's depending on preference, either will work) later. if you can chip it out, finding a good double DIN unit will look better and look "more factory" than a single DIN with a pocket. i've got a pioneer double DIN dvd/nav system and i love it.
Amen! Preach on brother HKYStormFront! Hallelujah! Praise head units....

So, yeah, what he said ^^^^^

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I'm aiming towards that mark (double-DIN), but I figured speakers would be a good starting point.

I guess I was off...just seemed to lack any mids, the bottom end is loose/flubby too, and the treble isn't right (piercing) - I figured speakers...

I'll look at head-units then!

On that note, the factory radio and the cover for it, seem pretty integrated at first look - is that really the case, or does it snap apart...or will I have to do some cutting to fit in a double-din unit?

·
Registered
78 Posts
You shouldnt have to do any cutting to fit a double din. I know if you check crutchfield.com they do have a nice dash kit for double din players. I have personally not used one yet but i know there were a few guys on here that did and said it turned out really good. As for removing your factory head unit, there should be a thread on how to do all of that. Just search in the forums. Good luck

·
Registered
17,538 Posts
On that note, the factory radio and the cover for it, seem pretty integrated at first look - is that really the case, or does it snap apart...or will I have to do some cutting to fit in a double-din unit?
no my understanding is that it is just a tight fitting cover, once you pull the dash piece off it should be just like ours underneath, at least that is my understanding. i haven't tried pulling apart the "new" dash, just the ones like in my 06 (they changed in 08 iirc). everything underneath should be the same and hence should work just the same as ours

edit: here's my thread showing pics of it:

http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f24/avic-d3-installed-24398/

·
Registered
192 Posts
First of all, yet another vote for HU first. A new HU will fix some of your issues with the various ranges (ie I put in a new HU with the stock speakers and the bass got a lot louder and tighter).

Pulling the dash apart is easy. I have a 2009, so I haven't seen the dashes pre-2008, but understand its fairly similar. I know they changed some of the screw locations that are hidden under the top tray (or the GPS if you have that). The top tray just pops out and then there are three screws you need to remove to do it right. Once you've done it once, you can have the radio out of the car in less than 2 minutes. There are some good write ups out there if you search the forum.

Also agreed that you won't have to cut anything. It all comes apart and you simply replace the housing around the radio (on mine that housing was the part that looked like carbon fiber) with a kit you buy online or at your local car audio shop (the kit should be around $20).

BTW, there are many others on this site with way more knowledge than I on this subject, but I'd recommend a HU with at least 20 watts RMS.

Depending on where you live (ie the number of stations in your area that carry it), I'd also recommend something with HD radio. I've had it for years and love it. Twice as many stations to choose from and the sound quality is closer to CD level.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
First of all, yet another vote for HU first. A new HU will fix some of your issues with the various ranges (ie I put in a new HU with the stock speakers and the bass got a lot louder and tighter).

Pulling the dash apart is easy. I have a 2009, so I haven't seen the dashes pre-2008, but understand its fairly similar. I know they changed some of the screw locations that are hidden under the top tray (or the GPS if you have that). The top tray just pops out and then there are three screws you need to remove to do it right. Once you've done it once, you can have the radio out of the car in less than 2 minutes. There are some good write ups out there if you search the forum.

Also agreed that you won't have to cut anything. It all comes apart and you simply replace the housing around the radio (on mine that housing was the part that looked like carbon fiber) with a kit you buy online or at your local car audio shop (the kit should be around $20).

BTW, there are many others on this site with way more knowledge than I on this subject, but I'd recommend a HU with at least 20 watts RMS.

Depending on where you live (ie the number of stations in your area that carry it), I'd also recommend something with HD radio. I've had it for years and love it. Twice as many stations to choose from and the sound quality is closer to CD level.
Wattage-wise, I like to run at least double what my speakers are rated for, so, it's kind of doubtful that I'll get that with just a head unit alone...I'd have to go with some amplifiers...

If I get to that point, then it just snowballs from there...

I just have to remind myself...one step at a time!

·
Registered
17,538 Posts
if you get bored you can click my name and check out the threads i've started in the audio section to see two different sub box builds and installs in my KC. i had to replace the first one when it got stolen :censor: thankfully I like the new polk momo better, not trying to give you any ideas or anything :thumbsup:

·
Registered
846 Posts
I've had great feedback from customers in the past on very budget jobs that I would change out the head unit, leave stock speaks and add a small powered subwoofer. Supplying more power and better frequency response to the stock speakers brightened up the sound and the sub added enough bottom end that the stock speakers wouldnt be pushed so hard. (Use the Low Level cutoff now found in most headunits). I did a leased Dodge truck with a 299.00 Pioneer Double Din and an 8" Bazooka BTA8100 Powered Sub and it really sounded quite nice. Wont break any SPL records but for the 500.00 in components it delivered.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts