Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since i just got my spc uca put on my truck, i was wondering if there are any steps or instructions i need to follow in order to maintain them for the long term. The box came with a instruction sheet but i don't have it anymore and can't remember if there was anything on there.

Would like to hear from you guys on what steps to take if any to extend the life cycle out of it.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,777 Posts
Seems like the biggest benefits of the SPC arms is that they are maintenance free. Just make sure the ball joint boot is not contacting the coil bucket and tearing. Here is some text from nisstech

"For long term durability, the sealed balljoint and SpecRide free-pivot bushings provide an “install it and forget a about it" product."

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Mine are starting to squeak after 20k miles. Perhaps they need to be pulled and re greased every so often?

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mine are starting to squeak after 20k miles. Perhaps they need to be pulled and re greased every so often?
Thats what i was wondering too because they do give you some grease in the kit.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have the "1st gen" version that came without the grease-able ballpoints. They went out after 50k so I replaced the joints with the ones that have zerk fittings... no problems yet and I'm happy they're serviceable.
those are the same ones as i just got. I just wanted to know how often do i grease them and what tool do i use. never really owned anything the has fittings to add grease so may need to pick up a grease gun.

·
Registered
534 Posts
those are the same ones as i just got. I just wanted to know how often do i grease them and what tool do i use. never really owned anything the has fittings to add grease so may need to pick up a grease gun.
I've been greasing them at every oil change, 5k miles. Grease gun required... they're cheap at a parts store or Amazon.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've been greasing them at every oil change, 5k miles. Grease gun required... they're cheap at a parts store or Amazon.
which one do you have and what grease do you use? i was thinking about going with marine grease due to being able to repel water. What size fitting is it?

·
Registered
534 Posts
which one do you have and what grease do you use? i was thinking about going with marine grease due to being able to repel water. What size fitting is it?
I use one similar to this... Lumax LX-1152 Black Heavy Duty Deluxe Pistol Grease Gun with 18" Flex Hose with Valvoline SynPower Synthetic Grease. I'm not sure what the advantage of marine grease is or if it would benefit you, but I'd stick with automotive stuff.

P.S. I linked one from Amazon really only as reference... I bet you can find one locally cheaper. I got mine at AutoZone for around $15.

P.P.S. Pretty sure all zerk fittings are the same size.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I use one similar to this... Lumax LX-1152 Black Heavy Duty Deluxe Pistol Grease Gun with 18" Flex Hose with Valvoline SynPower Synthetic Grease. I'm not sure what the advantage of marine grease is or if it would benefit you, but I'd stick with automotive stuff.

P.S. I linked one from Amazon really only as reference... I bet you can find one locally cheaper. I got mine at AutoZone for around $15.

P.P.S. Pretty sure all zerk fittings are the same size.
thanks for the info!

·
Registered
48 Posts
hey I have the mevotech arms and I recently noticed my coil bucket has punctured my boot....no big deal but I was wondering after I trim my bucket can I get the spc replacement boots??

·
Registered
895 Posts
hey I have the mevotech arms and I recently noticed my coil bucket has punctured my boot....no big deal but I was wondering after I trim my bucket can I get the spc replacement boots??
Quite a few boot replacement options online. You will want to weigh the risk of just replacing the boot vs going ahead and replacing the whole ball joint, depending on how long it has had a tear in it.

·
Registered
968 Posts
About 3 years ago I purchased my SPC UCA's 'used" from a local guy with an Xterra , they where rusty and pretty much shot.
I removed the old ball joints and bushing / sleeves , sanded and painted.
Purchased all new ball joints and sleeves from SPC.
Now I just grease them with a grease gun once in a while.

Reactions: Skinny06

·
Registered
60 Posts
About 3 years ago I purchased my SPC UCA's 'used" from a local guy with an Xterra , they where rusty and pretty much shot.
I removed the old ball joints and bushing / sleeves , sanded and painted.
Purchased all new ball joints and sleeves from SPC.
Now I just grease them with a grease gun once in a while.

I know this is a little old but does it matter what grease? I’m trying to find the grease listed in the SPC recommendations but they seem difficult to find in store anywhere. Something 3-5% moly

·
Registered
968 Posts
I know this is a little old but does it matter what grease? I’m trying to find the grease listed in the SPC recommendations but they seem difficult to find in store anywhere. Something 3-5% moly
Um ya I never thought much about what type of grease I grease the ball joints with......LOL
I just shoot what ever I have in my grease gun at the time.
Maybe it does matter ...but I have never had a problem . If you are really that concerned call Nisstec or SPC on the telephone they have been more than helpful for me on several occasion's.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts