Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve always used NGK iridiums in my vehicles and bikes. Anyone else out there got any other suggestions, iridium or not. 2015 4.0 CC 4x4 with 72k. Going to be replacing plugs in the next month or so.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
I used NGK LFR5AIX-11 4469 which I think is Iridium. Your bigger issue is to plan for removal of the intake plenum. Make sure you buy replacement gaskets to use.

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
The earlier Gen 3 Frontier's use a NGK platmium PLFR5A-11. That is what is in my truck stock and currently. They are good for 120K. Not sure why they swapped to the IR ones a couple of years later. Maybe it wasn't developed yet? I think the IR plugs are good for 120K as well, so no additional mileage gain.

Both are said to work fine in our trucks. I am at 100K and plan on swapping out my plugs soon and will go with the Plats. They are a few bucks cheaper.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I used NGK LFR5AIX-11 4469 which I think is Iridium. Your bigger issue is to plan for removal of the intake plenum. Make sure you buy replacement gaskets to use.
Yeah I did that on the 1st Xterra 4.0L I had but figured out a way to get around that with a set of 1/4 inch extensions and a universal joint. Easy peasy getting that buried one out on the passenger side. All the others are not bad to get to. Changed 3 sets on another Xterrra and 2 Frontier 4.0Ls without removing the intake, so much easier and quicker.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts

You do not need to remove the intake manifold. I replaced my sparks plugs with no problems.

Reactions: RickGnVa

·
Super Moderator
11,895 Posts
The iridium plugs are good to 105,000 miles.

Clint

·
Super Moderator
3,850 Posts
The iridium plugs weren't available in 2005 when the VQ40DE came out; it was equipped from the factory with NGK Laser Platinum 6240 (PLFR5A-11). Recommended replacement interval by Nissan is 105,000 miles and I wouldn't recommend pushing them much more than that. Many have gotten more miles out of them, but some have claimed reduced performance and intermittent misfiring at around 100,000 miles. In 2007, Nissan started using the NGK Laser Iridium 93759 (DILFR5A11) as the factory plug, still recommending an interval of 105,000 miles, but many claiming they will last to, and even exceed, 120,000 miles of use. The NGK Iridium IX 4469 (LFR5AIX11) was never installed from the factory. It is sold through Nissan as part of its "Value Line" parts. The Iridium IX was originally advertised by NGK as a "economy" Iridium spark plug, but that was dropped and now they are advertised as a performance plug for modified engines, an upgrade over nickel plugs and/or an "appropriate" replacement for OE plugs. Laser Iridium (sometimes called "OE Iridium") plugs are a dual precious metal plug whereas the IX is a single precious metal plug. The Iridium IX is only rated by NGK for 50,000-60,000 miles:

So, it's half of the price as the Laser Platinums but last half as long. Performance-wise, you won't notice any difference between the three. I've replaced the Laser Iridiums in my 2008 with Laser Platinums and I've replaced the Laser Platinums in my 2006 with Laser Iridiums; gas mileage stayed the same and they both ran just as good. The difference was price and longevity. If you're a stickler for replacing plugs at 105,000 miles, you can save a little money and install the 6240 Laser Platinums. If you want to push the interval of your spark plug changes because it's a pain in the butt, spend a couple more dollars and get the Laser Iridiums.

Then there's the "X-factor".... About a year ago, Nissan released their Ruthenium HX spark plugs. Ruthenium, like Iridium, is in the Platinum family of metals. It is also in the NGK aftermarket line-up, however, it is supposed to be more durable and have better ignitability then the OE Iridium plugs. Better yet is pricing, as they cost a little more than the Laser Platinums but are about $3.50 cheaper than the Laser Iridiums. I picked up a set of these for my 2006, but haven't installed them, yet. NGK claims better starts and smoother idling, but I'm expecting similar performance as the others, with slightly better durability and slightly lesser cost than the Laser Iridiums. For more on the Ruthenium HX:

As far as aftermarket options, the only brand I would trust would be Denso, which was a company that was originally owned by Toyota, making Nippendenso spark plugs (who also made Accel spark plugs), and has started supplying some of the factory spark plugs to some Nissan vehicles. I've always kept it simple: I use NGK plugs in everything I own! My Ford Mustangs had them; my lawn mower, Husqvarna and Craftsman chain saws, my gas-power leaf blower and the Briggs & Stratton engine in my generator all have NGK plugs. One more thing: don't buy them off of Ebay because there are a lot of counterfeit NGK (in NGK and genuine Nissan counterfeited boxes) and Denso plugs being sold out there!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts