Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!
I'm just about to hit 100k miles on my 2009 frontier. I wasn't having any issues, but figured it's time to change out the plugs for preventative maintenance. Its my first time swapping them out, and would REALLY appreciate some input!
I noticed the old plugs look very similar as far as wear, but the threads have some oily residue.
Theres was also some oil under the intake manifold... which is kind of making me freak out a little.
I attached 2 pics of the old plugs, and 1 of the engine with the intake manifold removed. I'm also seeing a couple of the intake ports are different darker colors.
Can anyone offer input about the condition of the old plugs? Why is there some oil residue on the threads and under the manifold? And is that something I should be concerned about? Is there a way to clean out those intake ports?

Any input is GREATLY appreciated!
Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
2016 Frontier SV CC 4x4 Automatic LB OEM
15 Posts
Hello,
The residue on the plugs looks normal to me for being original. If the ignition coil boots were soaked and swelled up and the spark plug wells were filling with oil then you would have a leak to be concerned about.

The oil residue in the intake ports on the manifold and the intake plenum happens naturally over time. Some oil vapors will be sucked into the intake via the PCV system and some will be deposited, which is normal.

I personally wouldn't try to clean the intake manifold ports without removing the manifold from the vehicle. Doing it with the manifold in place is pretty risky business. You don't want anything going in there if you can help it. Plus you aren't going to gain anything by doing it besides maybe a warm fuzzy feeling that a little bourbon could accomplish.

The one thing I would clean whilst you have everything apart is the throttle body. It doesn't look horrible but since you have it off you could check that off the preventative maintenance list too. A twofer, if you will.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello,
The residue on the plugs looks normal to me for being original. If the ignition coil boots were soaked and swelled up and the spark plug wells were filling with oil then you would have a leak to be concerned about.

The oil residue in the intake ports on the manifold and the intake plenum happens naturally over time. Some oil vapors will be sucked into the intake via the PCV system and some will be deposited, which is normal.

I personally wouldn't try to clean the intake manifold ports without removing the manifold from the vehicle. Doing it with the manifold in place is pretty risky business. You don't want anything going in there if you can help it. Plus you aren't going to gain anything by doing it besides maybe a warm fuzzy feeling that a little bourbon could accomplish.

The one thing I would clean whilst you have everything apart is the throttle body. It doesn't look horrible but since you have it off you could check that off the preventative maintenance list too. A twofer, if you will.
Awesome. Thanks for taking a look and your input. Cheers!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Plugs look great, put in the same pn#, spray out your throttle body good like mentioned above, use new gaskets for your reinstall of manifold. good job.
Thanks so much for taking a look and the reply! I did change those gaskets as well :) Appreciate the feedback for sure.

·
Registered
80 Posts
You probably have a very small leak on your valve covers - the round gaskets on each plug hole - and the threads picked up some oil on removal. You can replace your valve covers (there not expensive and the gaskets really aren't replaceable) or don't worry about it - they likely will stay about that much of a leak for years.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You probably have a very small leak on your valve covers - the round gaskets on each plug hole - and the threads picked up some oil on removal. You can replace your valve covers (there not expensive and the gaskets really aren't replaceable) or don't worry about it - they likely will stay about that much of a leak for years.
Gotcha. I think that may be a bit too much for my skill level tbh... lol. Thanks for the input!

·
Premium Member
2010 Nissan Frontier SE 165,000 miles.
32 Posts
I hope you changed out the PCV while you were there. I replaced everything about 5,000 miles ago. I used a Fel-Pro MS96943 intake gasket. It looked like a better quality one than the others the parts stores had. My plugs looked like that too after being in there for 160,000.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I hope you changed out the PCV while you were there. I replaced everything about 5,000 miles ago. I used a Fel-Pro MS96943 intake gasket. It looked like a better quality one than the others the parts stores had. My plugs looked like that too after being in there for 160,000.
Yeah man! Replaced those while I was in there. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts