Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've only had the truck a short time and I really don't know anything about its service history. I'm going through easy stuff that I can do myself as I get time. Oil was pretty dirty, auto trans fluid is as well but I think I'll take that and get it flushed.

Anyone have recommendations for plugs and wires?

I'm more interested (maybe 70/30) in mpg that performance and don't want any radio noise.

Feel free to point me to an existing thread, I don't seem to be driving the Search function very well.

Thanks,
-Jeff

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Replacing your plugs and wires depends on your mileage. I replace my plugs at 75K or so and use factory plugs. The wires, I'll push to 125K and replace them w/a factory set. Don't forget the timing belt that's due at 105K, although others have gone further it might not be worth the risk.
Change the oil and use synthetic w/a quality filter. The tranny I wouldn't put on a flush machine. I'd disconnect the line from the tranny at the radiator, start the engine for a minute or two and let the tranny flush itself out, about 4 quarts at a time. Do it 3 or 4 times and you've got 90% synthetic in there (Amsoil's great for trannies).
Might as well change the rear diff. while you're at it. Again, Amsoil, w/an additive if you've got a posi (do both rear wheels turn the same direction when you've got it jacked up at the pumpkin? That's a posi.) Wheels turn different directions, you've got an open diff. Flush the cooling system while you've got the giant catch pan out.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Ditto on the factory specified NGK plugs. Either factory wires, or take a chance on NGK or Denso replacements from Spark plug, Spark plug wire, spark plug gap, spark plug cross reference and ignition wires at Sparkplugs.com

I would replace the distributor cap and rotor, air filter, fuel filter, etc with OEM parts as well. I buy all of my OEM stuff through Nissan Parts - Everythingnissan.com

Don't forget your differential oil and power steering fluid as well. I "turkey baster" flush my p/s fluid with M1 ATF at each oil change - but that's probably overkill.

Good luck!

Heath

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
I'm OEM for most my parts too. I order a bunch of things all together including oil filters.

I stepped up a bit on the spark plugs and went with NGK Iridiums. I have not replaced wires. Stock cap and rotor is made by Hitachi and can be found elsewhere.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks

Thanks for the suggestions!

I got the truck with about 76,500 miles on it. Overall it's in really good shape but a pre-purchase inspection showed things like the fuel filter to be original, the belts overdue for a change and the fluids generally dirty. That and a few pulley-type noises to sort out.

As time and money allows I'll change some of these things out and feel better knowing where I'm at. I'm a little nervous about anything major - I did a little work on my old '89 F150 over the years, but it was a beater of a 3rd vehicle, where the Frontier is now the daily driver and I'd rather not strand it in the driveway, at least not until motorcycle season.

I think I'm definitely due for plugs but I'll look the wires over based on your comments. I'm looking forward to "plug #6" based on some posts I've read. :)

Thanks again,
-Jeff

·
Registered
2020 Toyota 4runner TRDOR
4,593 Posts
I agree, NGK are the way to go.
I pulled my plugs, they looked good so I went one range colder.
from what I have read, a colder plug will increase fouling, but will help prevent spark knock. since I had no signs of fouling, I went a bit colder.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions!

I got the truck with about 76,500 miles on it. Overall it's in really good shape but a pre-purchase inspection showed things like the fuel filter to be original, the belts overdue for a change and the fluids generally dirty. That and a few pulley-type noises to sort out.

As time and money allows I'll change some of these things out and feel better knowing where I'm at. I'm a little nervous about anything major - I did a little work on my old '89 F150 over the years, but it was a beater of a 3rd vehicle, where the Frontier is now the daily driver and I'd rather not strand it in the driveway, at least not until motorcycle season.

I think I'm definitely due for plugs but I'll look the wires over based on your comments. I'm looking forward to "plug #6" based on some posts I've read. :)

Thanks again,
-Jeff
I didn't change my drive belts until I did my timing belt, about 115K. According to my dealer parts guy, the gas filter isn't really a filter. More like just a strainer. FYI

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Drive Belts

I didn't change my drive belts until I did my timing belt, about 115K. According to my dealer parts guy, the gas filter isn't really a filter. More like just a strainer. FYI
Well I got them done labor-free when someone smashed up the front end of the truck :-(

Since the body shop had the whole front off anyway they went ahead and replaced the belts. Another pre-inspection item was too much water in the radiator mix - that gets fixed when the radiator is smashed :)

-Jeff

·
Registered
143 Posts
NGK Iridium and NGK "blue color" wires work really well on my s/c truck. I even went one heat range cooler than stock.

·
Registered
8,742 Posts

About 10bux a plug!
Had em - tossed em, they are junk. My VG just didn't like em.

use OEM wires and plugs(NGK).

Plug #6 is easy, I dont know so many people are scared of it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts