Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HOPEFULLY it will get to launch today. I was there Fri & Sat and they canceled it with under 10 mins to go both times. I'm getting ready to head up there again to hang out on the beach and if it goes I'll get the best pics I can. It is set to go @ 6:03pm so cross your fingers the weather holds out. If it goes, check back here and I should have the pic up by 9olck at the latest.

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
Well, it just started to rain at my house and I'm about 45 south of the pad so idk if it will launch today.

Hopefully the weather corporates at all locations and everything goes as planned.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Several years ago,I had the opportunity to view a Space Shuttle launch. What a demonstration of engineering and power! I remember that it seemed to bore through the sky for the longest time. A night time launch would have been even better.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
It impresses me how well they've taken care of the shuttle fleet - lasting well beyond expectations. Seeing a shuttle launch is quite an experience.

They are questioning what direction the space program is going when it is finally time to retire the remaining shuttles in museums around the country.

The shuttle is the only launch vehicle that can deploy AND retrieve objects from orbit and bring them back to earth. Russia has a similar shuttle.

I saw somewhere that they are planning on going back to a capsule-based vehicle, similar to the Apollo series, and deploying other spacecraft with traditional rocket launch vehicles.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)

A piece of the shuttle came off during the launch. Don't know exactly what it was just yet, but it wasn't suppose to. On the way home I spotted a Bald Eagle perched next to her nest. I stopped and napped a few pics of her too.

Well, it just started to rain at my house and I'm about 45 south of the pad so idk if it will launch today.

Hopefully the weather corporates at all locations and everything goes as planned.
Where are you? I'm in Palm Bay.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'm afraid I have to one-up you here. My buddy's sister works for NASA so he had 2 tickets to go the VIP viewing section. His mom was supposed to go but couldn't so I got to go see it for free! We were across the Banana River from the launch pad- only 3.5 miles away! It was incredible. You feel the rumbling of the engines shake you. Here are some pictures I got with my point and shoot camera.

If you look at the first and second pic you can see the water tower. In the third one it makes a tall cloud. It was truly an amazing experience.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I was gonna buy tickets to watch the launch bc I thought thats where you watched it from, but then I found out you watch it from the visitors complex. Not worth the $35 per person to me. I would LOVE to get some of those VIP tickets.

Cool pictures!
That must be awesome to see it in person.
I know you are miles from the launch pad but how loud is it when one of those goes up?

Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com
We were in Jetty park about 13-15 miles away from pad 39a. You could see it for about 30 secs before the sound got to us, but it was still LOUD!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Yea Jetty Park is great. That's where I usually go.
And there are buses from the Visitor's Complex that take you a lot closer. I ran into one of my friends who paid the $40 to see it in the same general area I was at. We parked at the Visitor's Center and were bused over too.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Yeah, that was great. What I would give just to ride in a lift off, much less be chill'en in space. I would sell my moms soul to the devil for a lift off and on lap aroud the world!!! LOL! J\K but... I would think about it!

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yea Jetty Park is great. That's where I usually go.
And there are buses from the Visitor's Complex that take you a lot closer. I ran into one of my friends who paid the $40 to see it in the same general area I was at. We parked at the Visitor's Center and were bused over too.
Really!?! Man if I would have known that......

Oh well, next time hopefully. I noticed your in Melbourne. Any good wheeling spots around here?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Ocala is the only one I know of that's designed for offroading, and it's a ways away. There is a deserted golf course down in Malabar that is fun for about 5 minutes haha. I haven't really had time to check out anywhere yet.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I have been to a couple of the shuttle launches. It is one of the greatest (to me anyways) feelings to watch it go up. It's absolutely amazing. Even if I don't go down to the pad, I can usually head out to the beach here and see it going up as well, and off the horizon.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts