Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My vehicle makes a "pinging" like sound in the 1500-2000 rpm range only. Noisier in acceleration through that range but you can still hear a hint even when coasting down 2000-1500 in that range. I can avoid the ping altogether when I up shift by keeping the rpms above 2000. Any ideas?

·
Registered
86 Posts
What grade gas, and have you tried a higher octane to see if that makes a difference?

Check engine light on?

Any reason the engine timing might be out of whack a little?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
using regular gas because higher octane or octane boost didn't change anything. Everything else normal. No CEL. Timing on spec. I really don't thing its pre-ignition.

·
Registered
86 Posts
How about coolant? Is everything full? You might be getting hot spots if its a little low.

Have you checked the EGR System to make sure its all working correctly?

Could be tge O2 sensors starting to show their age if those haven't been changed, or even a dirty MAF.

Have the spark plugs been changed recently? Maybe the wrong heat range was used if they were, or maybe its time to change if they never have been.

Other than any of that, I don't know, starting to run out of ideas.

·
Admin
3,278 Posts
Sounds nutty, but It wouldn't hurt to inspect your exhaust system and exhaust heat shields for tightness. My old truck had a rattle that occurred at specific rpms and it was a loose heat shield. The fact that you hear it while decelerating, leads me to agree with you that it is not pre ignition.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, the heat shields was something I saw on various forums and still need to check. Truth is, because I don't really think it is pre-ignition I was in no hurry to get under the vehicle until my next oil change, but it really is annoying. Tried cooler #6 plugs and there was no difference with them either. Everything else looks normal and it runs really well.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Was curious if you ever found what the problem was?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts