Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched, found posts about sound from the blower (one described it as a leaf stuck inside "fluttering" and another mentioned a bad bearing, clicking on fan). But the posts I've found mention that the noise is not noticeable at high fan speeds. Mine is the opposite.

It sounds like a flap of rubber or foam that starts to vibrate, most noticeable under full blast (fan speed 4) but also there at setting 3. It sounds kinda like a moped--more accurately, a gasoline powered golf cart--at low rpm, goes up in pitch and volume with increasing fan speed. .. It's not buzzing, rattling, or grinding--much more low frequency sound. It happens for all vent settings (face, floor, defrost, etc)

==>Has anyone noticed a flap of plastic or rubber in the ducting near the blower that might be the culprit?

Hope there's a known fix :) thanks

·
Registered
429 Posts
I had a mouse nest in the blower of my 00 frontier and that's what it sounded like. The weight of the nest was all to one side of the motor and threw it out of balance. I must have gotten lucky and driven the truck (I usually ride motorcycle in the summer) a day or two after the mice got in because it didn't smell or blow up through the vents.

Just pull the blower motor out and see what you find.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I took a look where the optional air filter goes, between the blower and the evaporator. Found a few things, no mice

PIC of the panel, after removed glove box (Is there an easier way to thumbnail images from the gallery?)

EDIT:

FWIW turning on the blower with that air filter panel removed is a QUICK way to blow leaves/tree crap from there. BUT the moped sound is still there at fan setting 3 or 4.

==> Still worth dropping the blower? ... Where else could a mouse nest or flap of rubber end up?

If not, I'll take a look around the center console vents when I do some radio mods in the near future, will post back if I find anything

·
Super Moderator
12,702 Posts
Is there an easier way to thumbnail images from the gallery?)
If you are running Firefox you can right click (on image) and pick "Copy Image Location".
Then while posting select "Insert Image" (square yellow box, looks like a mountain in it) and paste the URL into it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
But the posts I've found mention that the noise is not noticeable at high fan speeds. Mine is the opposite.
Dropping the blower is easy on this truck: download the service manual if you haven't already and reference that. Basically pull a kick panel off, lower glove box, and unbolt a few screws - it slides right out of the housing. Check for shaft play or unbalance while it's in your hands.

I dropped mine due to a 'ticking' noise (I was *convinced* it was a leaf). After finding nothing and being dismayed I decided the noise wasn't enough to really bother me. It was only noticeable at lower speeds for mine though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts