Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all —

A little background here. Just picked this truck up brand new a few weeks ago and happened to notice that the driver door speaker was missing some tones.

When adjusting the pan of the audio between right and left, the driver door speaker sounds muffled as though it’s missing it’s mid and upper tones. This is distinctly different from the passenger door.

After weeks in the dealer service center they replaced the speaker itself, the amp, the radio head unit and still the issue persisted.

Now after all of this - I’m told all 2019 Pro4x Frontiers sound this way.

I tried researching this but have come up with nothing on it.

Any of you guys notice this??

Would be curious to know why this is standard across the board!

·
Premium Member
5,552 Posts
...well the driver's speaker is aimed at your ankle.
Sit in the passenger side seat by yourself and do the listening test again. You'll see what I mean.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply bother! I’ve been following your build since joining.

Tried this. Unfortunately even when panning all the audio to the left, the sound out of that speaker is still anemic.

Tried opening the doors too and checking and there’s a distinct difference.

Maybe software in the infotainment unit? Maybe on purpose to not inundate the driver with noise? Only theorizing.

·
Registered
411 Posts
With the RF system the front door speakers are crossed over at the amp only to produce lower frequencies. That's why you're not hearing mids and highs. The dash speakers are crossed over to reproduce the mids and highs.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Was the driver's side tweeter replaced? That's where a lot of your vocals are going to originate.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
With the RF system the front door speakers are crossed over at the amp only to produce lower frequencies. That's why you're not hearing mids and highs. The dash speakers are crossed over to reproduce the mids and highs.
But why is only the driver’s side door and not the passenger door as well?

·
Premium Member
5,552 Posts
put a voltmeter on the speaker leads at the speaker output harness (unplug the speaker first), fader at full front, balance at 0, and see if there's a drastic difference in AC voltage.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Raine - happy to have the advice from the legend!

Did this and AC voltage was pretty much the same.

Wound up talking to a guy who runs the Nissan service department. Told me the door speakers are pretty much garbage and most everyone replaces them off the bat.

·
Premium Member
5,552 Posts
Thanks Raine - happy to have the advice from the legend!

Did this and AC voltage was pretty much the same.

Wound up talking to a guy who runs the Nissan service department. Told me the door speakers are pretty much garbage and most everyone replaces them off the bat.
The AC check is the second to last place in the audio path...if the AC voltage is the same, then there's no other conclusion - the speaker is the problem.
Good to see you did the work to figure it out, now it's time to go shopping :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts