Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered some Kilmat to put in my truck. I did not order enough to do the whole thing but enough to make a start (about 25 square feet) Does anyone who is familiar with this have any advice on which area to cover first to make the most impact? I thought I would do the doors first. I also thought about the back wall of the cab behind the seat.

I do not want to attempt the floor yet. Its a lot more work to remove the seats and carpet and I am a little nervous about removing my front seats as they have the side impact air bags. I guess it would be ok as long as I disconnect the battery first? Definitely don't want to set one of them off.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I recently installed seat heaters in my '18 Frontier. The seats were very easy to remove, but first disconnect the negative battery cable, then unplug the electrical connections under each seat. The seats are held down by four nuts, and the carpeting should now be easy to deal with. When done, torque the seat nuts to 33 lbs/ft.

·
Registered
2004 Nissan Frontier XE KC KA24DE
3,549 Posts
I'd do the doors first as they make the most difference IMO.

Also, I'd do the floor and rear wall at the same time.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback. I think I will start with the doors. I plan to do it this weekend.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
I ordered some Kilmat to put in my truck. I did not order enough to do the whole thing but enough to make a start (about 25 square feet) Does anyone who is familiar with this have any advice on which area to cover first to make the most impact? I thought I would do the doors first. I also thought about the back wall of the cab behind the seat.

I do not want to attempt the floor yet.
This is exactly what I did and it made a huge difference. I did three layers on the doors and near the speakers, 4 layers, then the rear wall in multiple sections, some up to 3 layers thick. Check my YouTube videos for live details of the install. I don't have any videos of the door project cause I started my channel about 19 months after doing the door project.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. I think I will start with the doors. I plan to do it this weekend.
You might wanna hit the window tracks with some lubricant beforehand.
It kinda sucks getting access to the door innards after the deadener has already been applied.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
You might wanna hit the window tracks with some lubricant beforehand.
It kinda sucks getting access to the door innards after the deadener has already been applied.
Good call, that didn't occur to me at the time, it was pretty hot out that day and I was pushin hard.

Reactions: butterman2473

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have read that this type of sound deadner works by eliminating vibrations in the metal and not as much as a physical barrier to the sound. I have also read that you only need about 25% coverage to eliminate vibration so its not necessary to cover the whole area. I am not sure if that is true or not. Almost every example I have seen of people using this stuff they cover as much as they can with it. I will probably just cover as much as I can with it too but its an interesting thought. I can see why the manufacturers of this stuff would not share that information if it is true as it would encourage their customers to buy less of their product.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
I have read that this type of sound deadner works by eliminating vibrations in the metal and not as much as a physical barrier to the sound. I have also read that you only need about 25% coverage to eliminate vibration so its not necessary to cover the whole area. I am not sure if that is true or not. Almost every example I have seen of people using this stuff they cover as much as they can with it. I will probably just cover as much as I can with it too but its an interesting thought. I can see why the manufacturers of this stuff would not share that information if it is true as it would encourage their customers to buy less of their product.
I've read the 25% rule as well, and IMHO its more a suggestion than a rule. To dampen "tinning" and vibration, its necessary to change the acoustic mass of as much metal as possible, so since I used a lesser brand and it was economical to do so, I ended up installing just about two full packs of the stuff I purchased. I covered everything in sight, at least once and many areas three to four layers deep.
The truck is very much quieter now, the doors close with a nice bank-vault-like thunk and though I dont have any dB readings, the volume bargraph on the stock RF sound system shows me that I'm at least 1.5 to 2 bars lower on volume to get about the same perceived volume level / SPL in the cab while moving, so I'd call that a win in any universe. The most noise I get now is wind whistle from my 42" windshield header LED light bar.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I installed the Kilmat this weekend. I had enough to do all four doors and the back wall of the cab. That stuff is easier to work with than I thought it would be. The hardest part is taking off all the trim to get to the metal. It made a significant difference in the noise level. My speakers sound a lot better now too when I crank them up. I may go back and do the floor at some point. Most of the noise I am still getting seems to be coming from the floor. Its mostly tire noise now.

·
Premium Member
6,928 Posts
What tires are you running?

I want to do this sound deadening, but I'd like to find a solid black type of adhesive material instead of these kinds w/ lettering on them since I plan to install some large/hinged molle panels on the back of my KC cab wall...and would prefer that nothing show through. Yeah, would rather not have to cover the lettering w/ carpet.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

I want to do this sound deadening, but I'd like to find a solid black type of adhesive material instead of these kinds w/ lettering on them since I plan to install some large/hinged molle panels on the back of my KC cab wall...and would prefer that nothing show through. Yeah, would rather not have to cover the lettering w/ carpet.
I have a stock sized set of Sumitomo highway tires. They are getting worn down though and seemed to be louder than they used to be. I will probably replace them before next winter.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts

Paint it after installation. Done.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I'm curious if the cost of using several layers of "inferior" material is still cheaper than just one layer of dynamat or is it a wash? And has anyone tried the lizardskin product? Seems like it would be easier to apply over the most difficult sections, but could be wrong. I've seen them use it on some of my car shows, but they never actually test the results. Probably just paid sponsors. If I see just one more dustless blasting infomercial.....Ha!

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
I'm curious if the cost of using several layers of "inferior" material is still cheaper than just one layer of dynamat or is it a wash? And has anyone tried the lizardskin product? Seems like it would be easier to apply over the most difficult sections, but could be wrong. I've seen them use it on some of my car shows, but they never actually test the results. Probably just paid sponsors. If I see just one more dustless blasting infomercial.....Ha!
I've used real branded genuine DynaMatt before and still put it on in multiple layers. Until someone publishes a double-blind back-to-back scientific comparison in an anechoic chamber, I'm super skeptical it's 3x as effective for triple the price.

Reactions: mxtreme30

·
Registered
3,549 Posts

Check this out at Amazon
Noico Black 80 mil 18 sqft Car Sound Deadening Mat, Butyl Automotive Sound Deadener, Audio Noise Insulation and Dampening https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZZ48BM...c_i_R5DCMWDQG9PB46TH9GPK?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I used one layer of Kilmat and I am pretty happy with the results. Its all pretty subjective I suppose. I could not measure a lot of change with the DB app on my phone but for me it was not so much about lowering the total amount of road noise as it was eliminating the more unpleasant parts of the noise. It has done that to a degree. I think one layer on the floor will get me where I want to be. If you are more OCD about it then you might need more layers.

·
Premium Member
6,928 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts