Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Just saw ArticD40's intro post; here's the 2nd VA newbie today! I moved to Norfolk last year for a job and within the next few months will be factory ordering a Frontier.

Partially due to my affinity for older (read: usually simpler) cars but mostly due to post-college finances, I've always relied on the dark depths of Craigslist for my automotive purchases.

This job pays enough for a new car and the family more or less staged an intervention begging me to stop driving myself crazy fighting blown head gaskets, rust, and other problems from neglectful owners.

·
Premium Member
7,125 Posts
Wishing you luck! I had an 18 week wait from Jan 2 to May 9 back in '15. If you can find what you want new on a lot, that's what I'd do. My specific iteration was rare, so I factory ordered.

For your perusal:

https://ppg.nissanproduct.info

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the link. Not loading on my phone so I'll check it out later on the computer.

I'm a stickshift addict and you never know if some punk kid redlined or dumped the clutch during a test drive, so my desire to factory order is really just about avoiding any risk (no matter how small) that the truck was abused before i took ownership. For the average person this doesn't matter but I always try to make my things last as long as possible, and some abuse (such as a poorly broken in engine) may not manifest until over 250k miles. Having to wait several months and possibly losing out on a a stellar deal is absolutely worth it to me.

·
Premium Member
7,125 Posts
Thanks for the link. Not loading on my phone so I'll check it out later on the computer.

I'm a stickshift addict and you never know if some punk kid redlined or dumped the clutch during a test drive, so my desire to factory order is really just about avoiding any risk (no matter how small) that the truck was abused before i took ownership. For the average person this doesn't matter but I always try to make my things last as long as possible, and some abuse (such as a poorly broken in engine) may not manifest until over 250k miles. Having to wait several months and possibly losing out on a a stellar deal is absolutely worth it to me.
Perhaps you're aware, but one loses a a fair+ amount of leverage when factory ordering re: negotiating the price. I get the whole wanting it perfect & pristine mindset. My 18 week wait was agonizing...especially after the dealership had speculated 4-6, maybe 8 weeks. Add 10 more weeks. Gawd. BUT, had I waited for a '16...well, Nissan quit offering 6-sp in KC's altogether. Getting your truck the way you want it and accepting a probable higher price and a possible extended wait = TOTALLY worth it once sitting behind the wheel.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Unfortunately I won't be getting it the way I REALLY want it. The concept of trim levels (as opposed to being able to order any option a la carte or in discounted packages) has always irritated me. I like the wheels and extra paint options of SV but I don't want 4WD (I have other vehicles for the dirty stuff; this truck would largely be used for hauling and towing), power windows, or sliding rear window. I bugged two local dealerships about the possibility of going outside the trim level system and both were adamant that the factories won't agree to build Frankenstein custom orders.

Regarding cabs, i know a lot of people will disagree but I've never liked the look of crew cabs trucks; the proportions just don't jive with me. But 1) we've got a baby, 2) the only trim levels of the Colorado with stickshift do have a barely useable KC but don't have the towing capacity i need, 3) I can't justify $35K for the V6 stickshift Tacoma.

And yeah like i said, i know there's a good chance the truck will arrive when there aren't rebates. But i consider the risk to be worth it when weighed against getting a clean truck.

·
Premium Member
7,125 Posts
Good luck w/ your wait..............................................!

There are quite a few of us that would leap at a Crew Cab Longbed w/ a 6-sp...but this iteration hasn't been offered since '08 or '09 IIRC.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts