Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I've just joined this forum and it seems to the best one for Frontier owners, a wealth of information from very talented and friendly owners. :thumbup:

I live near Los Angeles and have been looking to buy an used truck for a while and recently decided to get a Frontier with following features:

4.0 V6 - Extra hp/torque would be handy when towing my jetski trailer mainly.

Kingcab - Since no kids and a bit longer bed would be perfect to carry my dirtbike.

Manual - Gotta have some fun when driving and I want to be in control of selecting gears. I will be mainly using in weekends so it's no problem.

2WD vs 4x4 - This one I'm not sure yet. I have a weekend getaway property in the forest that I go once or twice a month. I have to drive on dirt road for about 2 miles to get there. I got stuck in snow/mud about 4-5 times in last 10 years. Sometimes boat launch ramps are slick but I had used a 2WD truck in the past no problem. But having 4x4 is plus but not a requirement.

It's too bad that Nissan stopped making Frontier with 4.0 motor in Kingcab configuration for 2016+. As I hear Frontier will be replaced a new model soon. Maybe that's why. I'm sure I will come up with questions on Frontier in the future and look forward some awesome input you guys.

Thanks!

PS: Following are Datsun/Nissan vehicles that my family and I've owned since late 70's but (obviously) none left now:

1977 Datsun Pickup AT
1979 B210 AT
1984 300ZX Turbo MT
1985 Sentra MT
1987 Pulsar AT

·
Premium Member
7,699 Posts
There are still KC V6 models, just not w/ a 6-sp manual. '15 was last year w/ this configuration.

Though rare, there are long bed Crew Cabs w/ 6-sp, but they were '09 and older IIRC.

Good luck in your pursuit!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Awesome choice!, I'm currently driving my 3rd Nissan truck. First was a 1989 Hardbody 4x4, second one a 2002 XE kingCab, and now I have a 2006 XE king cab, 4 banger manual trans (4" CST lift kit with 32s). Sometimes I wish I have gotten the v6, but still goes everywhere. even up the 5 freeway to Gorman with my friend and 2 dirtbikes. I have a GT bully dog chip on it. and absolutely no issues. Hope you enjoy your future truck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
even up the 5 freeway to Gorman with my friend and 2 dirtbikes.
Gorman Hungry Valley!
What a small world, my weekend getaway property is just a few miles west of there in Frazier Park. I used go to Gorman riding area quite often for dirt bikes and quad riding when my kids were little (all grownup and gone now!). Nowadays I'm into dual sport adventure riding.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
You could still get a King Cab in 2016 with the 4.0. You just could not get it with a manual trans. I'm not aware if 2017 has imposed this new restriction as it seems they are constantly making our options fewer and fewer. I was stuck buying a CC which I detest as I want a truck not a minivan in the middle of my truck, and I also wanted a full bed, but the manual trans was more important than anything else. They had a KC auto on the lot, Pro-4X, but I made the dealership go 2 states away to find a manual Pro-4x for me.

It is indeed news to me, and unhappy news at that if they are no longer making KC with the 4.0 in them. That means they aren't making KC Pro-4x period which seems idiotic as the KC are the true 4x4 versions of our truck.

Not sure why manufacturers stop making what people want. How long has the US market been dreaming of a small-midsize truck with an efficient 4 cyl turbo diesel, but no manufacturer will commit to it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts