Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Sonar sensor fails when cold - 2015 SV CC

5K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  NightMahar 
#1 ·
With all four back up rear bumper sensors completely clear of any visible external ice or moisture, whenever it gets below 20 degrees F, sonar sensor goes into constant alarm on my 2015 Frontier SV CC when it's in reverse. It can be silenced by pressing the defeat switch on the panel, until I stop and start the truck again. I was able to identify which sensor was causing the problem with a hair dryer. Just sequentially warmed each one up for a minute or so while in reverse (brake on, wheels blocked!) and alarm screaming, and wait for the alarm to stop. In my case it was the 2nd sonar sensor unit in from the left side.

If your truck is still under warranty, be warned that your dealer will likely resist any suggestion the part should be replaced under warranty, with statements like "they need to diagnose the problem" (in their warm shop where problem will never occur), or "there must have been ice on the sensor" after you tell them there was no ice, or "there must have been some moisture in the sensor" as if these sensors should not be water-proof, or "it might be a bad connection or maybe the control unit," all ending with a report they could not duplicate the problem.

The replacement sensor part is outrageously expensive (listed on Nissan parts for $276.10 each), and so far I have not found a location diagram or other description that says exactly which of the listed alternative Nissan parts goes where (259949BF1A, or -B, -C, -D also listed respectively as part numbers 25505P, or -PA, -PB, -PC), which makes it difficult to justify purchasing a replacement part to see if that fixes the problem. Anyone know which part numbers go where?

It is possible that there was condensation moisture inside the sensor that was driven off by heating with the hair dryer, but the problem keeps occurring when the temp goes below 20 degrees F, so obviously, it that's true, the sensor is not properly sealed. Next time I will make a recording of the alarm and how the alarm stops when a particular sensor is warmed up, and present that to my dealer before the warranty ends. It will be interesting to see what excuses they come up with and whether they actually fix the problem or try to just waste my time with an series of burdensome appointments to see if I go away or the warranty times out. It is amazing to me that a company would risk their next sale to me and others that read columns like this to save a few paltry bucks.

See less See more
#3 ·
...sorry to hear that for the both of you, I just bought mine and hope it doesn't happen on my trip out west starting tomorrow!?!

#4 ·
Yeah idk.... kind of makes sense though. I read in the user manual is says "keep clear of ice and snow"... I definitely went snowX4ing recently and only then did I notice this annoyance. I live in BC and snow is a thing. You'd think they'd be built with that obviously in mind?

Hopefully when it warms up it will no longer be an issue. I'm gunna try and heat up the sensors as the OP mentioned. See if condensation/moisture is the issue... still got lots of warranty left but by the sound of it Nissan customer service is lack luster.

#5 ·
Yesterday the dealer I bought mine from couldn't figure something out and I head to ND today for my new job so they have everything being forwarded to the new closest dealer, I thought that was good service (instead of me having to try and re-explain everything to the next dealer)!

So even coming from upstate NY, there will be more snow in my Fronty's future::smile::

#6 ·
I just bought my '14 SV CC and was all sorts of confused when the screaming reverse beep happened to me. As I was driving I realized I had gotten a car wash a few hours earlier, and now the temp was below freezing.

When I got to my destination, having no idea what the problem could be, I checked all the sensors for ice or snow, then I rubbed them all with my fingers to make sure there wasn't a thin clear layer of ice or dirt or the like anywhere on them.

After that they've worked as expected. Now I'm nervous to wash it again.

#7 ·
The Sonar Sensors aren't affected by snow or dirt. I color matched mine last year along with the license plate light covers. I taped over them prior to painting them and they worked fine....still di after 15 months. Most issues seem to be with the sensor being damaged or the plug connection getting corroded. JMHO.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.